Peer reviewed journal articles
- Gore -Langton Emma, Frederickson Norah. (2016). Parents' experiences of professionals' involvement for children with extreme demand avoidance. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities.
- O'Nions, E., Gould, J., Christie, P., Gillberg, C., Viding, E., & Happé, F. (2016) Identifying features of 'Pathological Demand Avoidance' using the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (‘DISCO'). European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 25, 407-419. (click here to download some supplementary materials)
- Gore -Langton Emma, Frederickson Norah. (2015). Mapping the Educational Experiences of children with Pathological Demand Avoidance. Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs. More information relating to this research can be found here: Emma Gore Langton PDA educational experiences
- Gillberg Christopher et al. (2014). Extreme ("pathological") demand avoidance in autism: a general population study in the Faroe Islands. Journal of European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. (e-publication ahead of print).
- Gillberg, Christopher. (2014). Commentary: PDA – Public Displays of Affection or Pathological Demand Avoidance? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Reilly Colin.; Aktinson, Patricia., Menlove Leanne.' Gillberg, Christopher.' O’Nions, Elizabeth., Happé Francesca., Neville, Brian G.R. (2014) Pathological Demand Avoidance in a Population based cohort of children with epilepsy: Four Case Studies. Research in Developmental Disabilities.
- O’Nions E, Viding E, Greven CU, Ronald A & Happé F (2013) Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA): exploring the behavioural profile; Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice.
- O’Nions, E., Christie, P., Gould, J., Viding, E. & Happé, F. (2013) Development of the 'Extreme Demand Avoidance Questionnaire' (EDA-Q): Preliminary observations on a trait measure for Pathological Demand Avoidance; Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Harvey, Tracy. (2012). The educational issues for the child with a diagnosis of Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome. Good Autism Practice Journal.
- Eaton J, Banting R (2012) Adult diagnosis of pathological demand avoidance – subsequent care planning. Journal of Learning Disabilities and Offending Behaviour
- Phil Christie (2007) The Distinctive Clinical and Educational Needs of Children with Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome, Guidelines for Good Practice; Good Autism Practice Journal.
- Jones, E. (2005). Developing independence through the use of a colour-coded system with a fifteen-year-old pupil with a diagnosis of pathological demand avoidance syndrome (PDA) in a mainstream school. Good Autism Practice Journal.
- Elizabeth Newson et al (2003) Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome: a necessary distinction within the pervasive developmental disorders; Archives of Diseases in Childhood.
Liz O'Nions; Francesca Happe; Essi Viding; Judith Gould; Phil Christie Christopher Gillberg
Posters and other Publications Relating to PDA
- O'Nions, E., Happé, F., Viding, E. (in press). Extreme/'pathological' demand avoidance. DECP Debate, 160. (pre-print available from UCL Discovery) *NEW June 2016
- O'Nions et al., 'Extreme/ ‘Pathological' Demand Avoidance: An Examination of the Behavioural Features Using a Semi-Structured Interview. Presented at IMFAR 2016 (Baltimore) and EFCAP 2016 (Porto) (download PDF by clicking here) *NEW June 2016
- 'Features of Pathological Demand Avoidance Identified Using the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (‘DISCO')' O'Nions et al., presented at IMFAR 2015 (Salt Lake City) (download pdf by clicking here)
The following papers are all available from Autism East Midlands (formerly NORSACA)
- Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome, diagnostic criteria and relationship to autism and other developmental coding disorders; Elizabeth Newson, Child Development Research Unit, University of Nottingham; 1989
- Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome: a statistical update; Elizabeth Newson; Durham Conference; 1996
- Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome: discriminant function analysis demonstrating its essential differences from autism and Asperger’s syndrome; Durham Conference; 1998
- Communication development of children with Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome; Charlotte Graham-White; Early Years Diagnostic Centre, Nottingham; 2002
- Helping your child with PDA to play; Josephine Carlile; GAP, 12, 2, 2011
- Educational and handling guidelines; Elizabeth Newson in consultation with Phil Christie
- How does PDA present in a play based environment?; NORSACA
- Strategies used to discover PDA in a play based environment; NORSACA