Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
New to This
  • Doglover
    Hi,

My name is Beth. My wife and I have a 5 year old daughter. We have struggled with her behaviour since, forever. She started pre-kindergarten this year. She has had MANY ups and big downs in school. We were recently told she can't come to school any more on Mondays and Fridays because the teacher is alone and can't handle her unpredictable, aggressive meltdowns.

At the school's request, we have started an assessment process to be able to secure support for her next year at school. We have suspected something was off with her for a while. We met with one psychiatrist last week. She said our daughter does not have ASD. She said it was more an issue of our parenting and discipline. This just didn't ring true for me. If that was so, why does our younger (3) daughter not show the same level of defiance and anger? Why would our daughter show the same behaviour at home, school and daycares?

Just a few days ago someone suggested PDA. I had never heard of it before. When I came to this website, I was brought to tears because this perfectly describes our daughter's behaviour!!

We are now waiting for an assessment from a different psychiatrist. I am almost certain this is what she has. It is comforting to know that there is something real there causing us all so much stress. I also worry for her future. Will she be able to be successful in school? Will the school be able to provide the amount of support she needs? Will she be able to have friends? Several kids in her class are scared of her. Will she have a happy future???

It's all very stressful and overwhelming. I am so happy to have found this website and this group. We live in Canada. Is anyone else from Canada?

I look forward to learning from you and connecting for support.

• PlanetAutism
    Not sure if there have been any Canadian members, you could try searching on 'Canada' in the search facility to the right-hand side of the forum. There have been I think 2 or 3 US members though. I know that's not much help to you, but proximity might turn out to be somewhere more towards Canada and they may know some useful information for you.

Parent blame is sadly universal among professionals for some reason. Your logic is spot on and parents do know when their child is different. Couple of information sheets on here http://evolutian.wixsite.com/planetautism/infofactsheets about both of those things. Another thing to add, is that if it was your parenting, why would the school not be able to manage her! Also, if she is doing it at home you could likewise blame the nursery for that as their logic is usually that if a child acts out at school then it must mean something is wrong at home. Reverse the situation!

On this PDA website is a link to the educational guide for PDA children, you could provide the pre-kindergarten a link to it and ask that they try the techniques. I really don't know if there are any Canadian diagnosticians for PDA, it's a postcode lottery in the UK and I know it's even worse in the US and Canada might be the same. Maybe print the clinician's booklet off this website, complete the Extreme Demand Avoidance questionnaire and score it and take both to your physician for a referral to an expert in females with ASD at least. Even if she gets a diagnosis of atypical autism it's a step in the right direction.
  • PlanetAutism
    Also it might help professionals assessing her to know if there are any extended family members or dad with ASD in their medical history.
  • Holly59

Doglover said:

Hi,

My name is Beth. My wife and I have a 5 year old daughter. We have struggled with her behaviour since, forever. She started pre-kindergarten this year. She has had MANY ups and big downs in school. We were recently told she can't come to school any more on Mondays and Fridays because the teacher is alone and can't handle her unpredictable, aggressive meltdowns.

At the school's request, we have started an assessment process to be able to secure support for her next year at school. We have suspected something was off with her for a while. We met with one psychiatrist last week. She said our daughter does not have ASD. She said it was more an issue of our parenting and discipline. This just didn't ring true for me. If that was so, why does our younger (3) daughter not show the same level of defiance and anger? Why would our daughter show the same behaviour at home, school and daycares?

Just a few days ago someone suggested PDA. I had never heard of it before. When I came to this website, I was brought to tears because this perfectly describes our daughter's behaviour!!

We are now waiting for an assessment from a different psychiatrist. I am almost certain this is what she has. It is comforting to know that there is something real there causing us all so much stress. I also worry for her future. Will she be able to be successful in school? Will the school be able to provide the amount of support she needs? Will she be able to have friends? Several kids in her class are scared of her. Will she have a happy future???

It's all very stressful and overwhelming. I am so happy to have found this website and this group. We live in Canada. Is anyone else from Canada?

I look forward to learning from you and connecting for support.

Hi,

There is a Global FB group , hopefully there will be other members from Canada .

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01625

You might find this interesting . Have you seen the PDA Webinar, case histories and Harry's YouTube videos . Lots of blogs as well .

I have explained how to make contact on the other link you posted.

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/blogsandfacebookgroups

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum#/discussion/5437/pda-training-courses-south-shields-tyne-and-wear-all-levels

There are people who do PDA Training off Skype .

https://help4psychology.co.uk/

This Company is excellent, recommended by the PDA Society , they will do a pre assesment for £95 to assess the possibility.ty of PDA. That can be done off aSkype .A full assesment costs from £1,5000.

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/awareness-matters-booklet

You can download this or show to your Clinnician .

Pat xx
  • PlanetAutism
    Help 4 Psychology have clientele from worldwide also.
  • Holly59

PlanetAutism said:

Help 4 Psychology have clientele from worldwide also.[/quote

Agreed , I added the link . She works on Skype in Saudi Arabia , all around the World . Shows how well thought of she is.

Pat xx

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.