Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Medication for anxiety
  • Aggie
    My son is getting really anxious, resulting in extreme challenging behaviour. Having seen camhs, they have prescribed clonazepam, which I'm very apprehensive in giving as it's for seizures. Has anybody else been given this drug to help with anxiety & has it worked?
  • Holly59

Aggie said:

My son is getting really anxious, resulting in extreme challenging behaviour. Having seen camhs, they have prescribed clonazepam, which I'm very apprehensive in giving as it's for seizures. Has anybody else been given this drug to help with anxiety & has it worked?

Hi,
    My son has Juvinille Myoclonic Epilepsy and when his seizures detoriate this drug is given as an emergency drug .

My son has a diagnosis of Aspbergers , dyspraxia , and undiagnosed PDA . This drug calms the seizures . You Definatly notice a calmer young man.
    Each person is unique , what works on one won't work on another,.

Have you any diagnosis from CAMHS ?

If it's PDA and the school are not using PDA Stratagies that's your answer . School and home must work together .

Just glanced at your previous posts . A NAS School with a PDA Hub would be ideal but sadly they are few and far between.

Can I suggest you contact the Trustees , they have extensive knowledge of school provision .

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/contact

You need to work out why the anxiety is high . It's no good prescribing drugs to solve the problem, find the problem first .

Pat xx

• PDA_ASD_Parent
    I agree with Pat finding out about the source of the anxiety. But I also know that the anxiety can be so extreme that it's impossible to function and work on the anxiety and medication can be needed to be able to do so. I am surprised they are offering a seizure medication, have you asked them why that one? There are others, Sertraline, Aripiprazole, Proprananalol (that one can be prescribed by GP I believe), Risperidone and others and I think (oddly) they sometimes use anti-histamine drugs for anxiety.
  • Aggie
    Thanks Pat, it's hard to find out what triggers his anxiety it can be something & nothing to me but he goes nuts. I have since found a school that I think will work better, just waiting on authority to give the go ahead.

Planet Autism, I wasn't with Camhs when the meds were prescribed as I had to remove my son from the room because of his behaviour & so it was his Dad who came back with the meds. My son already had respiridone but it caused too much weight gain & so came off it. This psychiatrist is one on his own though, last time he threatened my son with the police because of a meltdown, I'm not happy with his decision on meds.
  • Holly59

Aggie said:

Thanks Pat, it's hard to find out what triggers his anxiety it can be something & nothing to me but he goes nuts. I have since found a school that I think will work better, just waiting on authority to give the go ahead.

Planet Autism, I wasn't with Camhs when the meds were prescribed as I had to remove my son from the room because of his behaviour & so it was his Dad who came back with the meds. My son already had respiridone but it caused too much weight gain & so came off it. This psychiatrist is one on his own though, last time he threatened my son with the police because of a meltdown, I'm not happy with his decision on meds.

Good Lord , I thought I had heard it all but a Psychiatrist threatening the Police because of extreme anxiety meltdown , the guy should be sacked . :O ~X( :((

https://pdaguidance.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/diagnostic-pathway/

Have you asked for an out of area referral ?

I would get your Councillor involved , you need that extra support behind you , not just the new school , fingers crossed it's not too long .

https://pdaguidance.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/diagnostic-pathway/

I bet once he is in a more appropriate understanding placement he would show an improvement .

I would be putting in a formal complaint to the Health Authority and asking for an alternative Consultant . Couldn't work with an idiot like that .

I hope they withdrew the other drug carefully reducing the dosage very slowly .

Pat xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    Agree with Pat about the psychiatrist. No clue, shouldn't be in the effing job!
  • Holly59
    [

Aggie said:

Hi,
    When we got the original diagnosis for the eldest at 18' I said to the Adult Psychiatrist exacty that " it was like a switch and I could t understand the reason he did it " . I now understand that he couldn't control anything , the bullying at school, the pain in his hand after a horrid burn at school, the Rector illegally excluding him , I found that out too late , well his reaction was these meltdowns . I know know why he did it .

Try and keep,a diary, see what happens before a meltdown . You would be surprised how eventually you can see the anxiety growing and then use distraction to intervene .

Planetautism and I have had " Stress " related behaviour recently due to exams . It's so challenging .

Have you watched the PDA Webinar , it's brilliant .

Planetautism that Psychiatrist Definatly needs to go on your Wall of Fame . Such arrogance and ignorance . Where did he get his Medical Training , that he doesn't understand the basics of a meltdown is beyond belief.

Pat xx

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.