Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Personal Assistant for 7 year old boy with PDA.
  • Hello, I am new to the PDA society and I have signed up as I will soon be caring for a little boy with the condition and am wanting to know if anybody has any advice for me coming from the perspective of a personal assistant. Also, I am new to the role and as a 17 year old, I would like to channel my passion into learning new skills and developing myself into the best personal assistant I could be. Any guidance and advice is much valued!

Thankyou!

- Shannon M - Soon to be PA.
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    If you have a look at the recommended techniques on this website you will get a feel for the best approaches. It's about being indirect, humour etc. so that the child doesn't perceive things as demands and get increased anxiety. Good luck in your new role.
  • katie0123katie0123
    Hi there,
    Welcome to the forum, its great that you are taking the time to find out the best way to help the little boy you will be looking after! As PlanetAutism said looking at the recommended techniques will really help.
    I also suggest having a read of a book called "Can I tell you about Pathological Demand Avoidance" by Ruth Fidler and Phil Christie

Also all the books in the link are really helpful and have some great strategies

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/books

good luck

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.