Understanding Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)
1st May 2022 - 30th April 2023| £81.42
Understanding Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA). An online learning series by Autism Learns.
Autism Learns, provides trusted and affordable online learning to parents, family carers and professionals who support children and adults on the autism spectrum.
Stream all webinars for 30 days.
This online learning series will explore Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) – a profile on the autism spectrum characterised by an extreme avoidance of everyday demands and expectations. Those with a PDA profile can appear to have better social skills than other autistic people, and often use this ability to create distractions and excuses to mask their difficulties. They may also present as excessively controlling and dominating when feeling anxious.
With the condition often misunderstood and the usual autism approaches of structure and routine ineffective, how can we ensure that we’re meeting the specific needs of young people with a PDA profile at home and in education?
Our team of leading autism professionals will provide you with the specialist knowledge and insights to answer this question.
- Recognising and understanding the features of a PDA profile
- Implications for supporting children and young people at home and in education
- Strategies to support engagement and learning
- Diagnostic understandings and pathways
- Understanding anxiety for people with PDA and how you can help
- Can talk, won’t talk – PDA and selective mutism
- PDA and masking
- Navigating the CAMHS minefield
All content is CPD certified and a CPD Certificate of Attendance is available upon request.
Full webinar and speaker information available here.