Free Support and Advice


PDA Specific Support and Advice


PDA - Parent-to-Parent Support

PDA Society Enquiry Line - The PDA Society enquiry line service provides parent-to-parent support, advice and information to parents and carers of children or adults with PDA.

The National Autistic Society - Parent-to-Parent (P2P) is a UK-wide confidential telephone service providing emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism.

Local PDA support groups -  Contact info for PDA Support Groups in various locations around the UK and in Ireland. The PDA Society is often asked by parents in other areas how to go about setting up their own local PDA support group. We don't have a formal programme regarding local PDA support groups but can support anyone who wants to set up their own local group by providing guidance, leaflets and a platform for promoting the group. Hilary Harvey who set up The South Bucks PDA Support has put together this helpful guide for us.

PDA - Support for All

PDA Society Enquiry Line - The PDA Society enquiry line service provides information, advice & support for parents, families, carers and professionals, specific to the PDA profile of autism. 

The National Autistic Society - The Autism Helpline enquiry service provides impartial, confidential information along with advice and support for autistic people and their families and carers.
Facebook Groups - PDA Facebook groups offer a place where parents, professionals and adults with PDA can chat to others and share information and advice. 

PDA Society Discussion Forum - Become a member of the PDA Society to access our discussion forums.

Support and Advice for Specific Areas of Need

​Support with Challenging Behaviour *NEW*

The Challenging Behaviour Foundation work to improve understanding of challenging behaviour, empower families with information and support, and help others to provide better services and more opportunities. Support is based on a positive behaviour support (PBS) model, which aims to work with skills of those who support people with challenging behaviour rather than using traditional reward/punishment models. Please note the Challenging Behaviour Foundation supports families of people with severe learning disabilities so may not be able to support all families.


Health Services

Healthwatch - We are the independent national champion for people who use health and social care services. We are here to make sure that those running services, and the government, put people at the heart of care.

Contact a Family - Health Services - We explain what health services are available to you and your child.

Citizens Advice - Health Services - We provide basic information about your rights to health care, the NHS complaints procedure, how much health care costs and we direct you to other specialist agencies who can provide you with help and more detailed information.

Social Care

Contact a Family - Social Care - As a parent of a disabled child you are entitled to certain benefits and services that can help you, your child and your family. 

Family Rights Group – We provide advice to parents, grandparents other relatives and friends about their rights and options when social workers or courts make decisions about their children’s welfare.

Child Protection Procedures -  A helpful factsheet from the Family Rights Group

Complaints about health and social care

The National Autistic Society - Complaints about health or Social Care provision and letter templates for contacting Local Authorities and the Department of Work and Pensions.

Encounters with the Law

The National Autistic Society – Encounters with the law. Find information about being the victim or witness of a crime, police interviews, being a witness in court, how parents and carers can help, and your rights in prison.


The National Autistic Society - Find out about what benefits may be available to you if you are an autistic adult or young person, or what may be available for your child if you are a parent or carer.

The National Autistic Society - Benefit appeals and reconsiderations


IPSEA - Provide free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.

SOS SEN - Provide a free, friendly, independent and confidential telephone helpline for parents and others looking for information and advice on Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).

ACE Education Advice - For parents and carers ACE provides independent advice and information on state education in England.

Contact a Family - Education - Educational settings (schools, nurseries and colleges) have a legal duty to support children and young people with additional needs and disabilities and to treat them fairly.

Enquire - The Scottish advice service for additional support for learning.

Senac - We provide confidential, independent advice and advocacy on behalf of children and young people with disabilities and special educational needs (SEN) attending schools in Northern Ireland up to the age of 19 years.

National Autistic Society - Education Rights Service provides impartial, confidential information, advice and support on education rights and entitlements for parents and carers of pre-school and school-age children with autism.

The National Autistic Society School Exclusions Service offers advice and information to parents of children and young people on the autism spectrum on all aspects of school exclusion in England.

The National Autistic Society - Transition support service is a free service for young autistic people aged 14 years plus and their parents or carers, looking for information and advice on the transition to adulthood. This includes young people preparing to leave school as well as further and higher education.

School Refusal Support Services is an unincorporated organisation run by a committee of parents of school refusal children.  Their mission is to empower parents of school refusal children and to provide a platform to meet others, share experiences and learn.

Support for Carers of Disabled Children and Adults

Carers UK Looking after someone can be a rewarding experience but it can also be lonely and bewildering. We help each other by sharing experiences and offering support.

Carers Trust We work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems.

Practical and Online Support for Siblings & Young Carers

Sibling Support - The Sibling Support Project is dedicated to the life-long and ever-changing concerns of millions of brothers and sisters of people with special health, developmental, and mental health concerns.

Sibs -  For brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults. Sibs aims to enhance the lives of siblings by providing them with information and support.

Young Sibs - Website for young sibs

Carers Trust - Offering young carers the chance to be young people free from their caring responsibilities through trusted activities, clubs, outings, holidays and one-to-one support.

Action for Children - We work with and support young carers across the UK.

Equal Strands - specialist autism consultancy with a variety of support packages for all ages

Mental Health

Young Minds – Young Minds is the UK’s leading charity championing the wellbeing and mental health of young people.

Mind - Provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding

The Samaritans - Offering support to people who are suicidal or despairing, and are on hand 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Respond - Respond works with children and adults with learning disabilities who have experienced abuse or trauma, as well as those who have abused others, through psychotherapy, advocacy, campaigning and other support.
Please note that the PDA Society are not making any recommendations nor is responsible for the content of or the services provided by sites and links that are external to the PDA Society.

Please contact us if you discover any broken links or would like to make suggestions for links to add.