Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
New here!
  • Hi everyone :)
    Does anyone recognise these traits in their child please?
    my son is 13 years and 8 months old and was dx'd as AS when he was 10 yrs old.
    The Clinical Psychologist we saw last week has said he thinks Nat fits the criteria for PDA so I would be grateful for anyone's input that might help us to understand.
    These are some of the behaviours Nat exhibits: he is very hard to discipline as nothing works very long, he avoids any suggestion of independence and balks at any normal daily routine he is asked to do. When trying to get him to do anything it is "what do I get if I do it" or "only if you let me do/have this" He is certainly very controlling of us. He has severe temper losses if he can't have his own way and will attack us. School also say he needs negotiation to get him to do things. He attends a centre 2 days a week for lessons but at present has refused to go as he doesn't like the teachers or the other kids (they haven't done anything to him at the centre) He is very verbally critical of his nearly 4 year old nephew, expecting him to behave much older child than he is. He does not like the same routine as he says it's boring. He dislikes intensely Maths and Science finds it difficult to concentrate but he's brilliant at Drama and reading/spelling. When he reads aloud he uses lots of expression. We really want to understand our son but are finding things so difficult at present.
  • MHO
    Welcome to the site! I read your posting at the weekend but had no time then to reply. I thought by now you'd have had lots of replies. I recognise many of the traits characteristic of your son that you described, especially the need to control, and I smiled at your comment that "nothing works very long." My granddaughter is only nine and is quite immature for her age but can also try to be very controlling, and various "tricks" that we have resorted to from time to time in order to ellicit her cooperation will work for a while, but as soon as she realises she's being manipulated she withdraws her cooperation. Does your son attend mainstream school? Is the centre you refer to separate from and in addition to the school he normally attends?
  • Pamela
    Hello Jean and welcome to the site. My daughter is nearly 11 and was diagnosed Jan 03 with PDA. She also has a rare chromosome disorder called IDIC 15, you can read about the condition by visiting their site idic15.org Olivia can be very demanding, manipulative, and avoidant. She can also swing from being the sweetest child to someone possessed and she doesn't care who the attack is on. She 'appears to be happy' at school. Her progress over the years has slowed to more or less a stand still. She has a severe anxiety disorder and unless things are clear to her she gets herself in a real tiz. Olivia doesn't need rigid routines but she does need to see visually what the events of the day are going to be as well as being givien verbal prompts. Her short term memory is very poor, and this could be due to a number of things, either her auditory processing disorder or her epilepsy, which effects the right side of her brain in the temporal region. we use picture symbols all the time here at home, and as far as I am aware they are still using them at school for her too. It is reassurance for her, and reduces some of her anxieties, fears and behaviours.
    She attends a special school locally who are at present just meeting her needs. She has changed a lot over the last couple of years as have her needs, so who knows what is next. As far as understanding your son...in our case, just as we think we have cracked it with Olivia something upsets the apple cart and we end up at square one!
  • Thank you both for replying and for your welcome :)
    Your input was really helpful,
    Nat goes to a Hospital and Interim Education Centre as he refused to go back to school 12 months ago after he'd been excluded for attacking his best friend who had been calling him names.
    We have also been told by CAHMS he has social phobia as well as very low self esteem and high anxiety levels.
  • MHO
    Hello again, Jean
    I have to confess my ignorance and admit that I had never heard of a Hospital and Interim Education Centre. Is it mainly to provide education for children who can't attend mainstream school for medical reasons? Did Nat attend a mainstream school before he was excluded last year? Was the exclusion permanent, or could Nat have gone back to his school if he'd wanted to? I'm not sure exactly what social phobia means, but low self esteem seems to be fairly typical of many children with PDA, judging from quite a few postings. Many of my granddaughter's problems when she was at mainstream school seemed to stem from her low self-esteem, but now she attends a special school, where the staff understand her and appear to genuinely like her, she's making real progress. Sorry about asking so many questions! Hope you don't mind.
  • Hi again and once again thanks for replying, :)
    I don't mind answering any questions and the Centre is for children who can't go to school, (the children are referred there by CAHMS).
    We have been told that the LEA have said if the centre doesn't work he will have to go out of area to school, but Nat is adamant that he will not go back into a school of any kind!
    He wasn't permanently excluded he just totally refused to go back.
    He seemed to hate most of the lessons in mainstream school and now he appears to be totally anti-education except for his Drama. ( in fact he's actually taking an exam this Friday which is equivalent to a GCSE).
    Mind you I have had to "keep at him" to study even though it's something he likes, as he leaves it to the very last minute to do things and then panics!
    He has started taking Kalms to try and reduce the anxiety.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions