Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
looking for answers.
  • Hi again,
    I have been looking at the criteria for PDA and I was wondering if a child has to have all the difficulties mentioned? or can they have just have most of them?
  • Pamela
    I'm not sure about that. My daughter has all of them. Maybe you should phone the Elizabeth Newsom centre and ask them. Sorry I can't help any more. I know with my daughters chromosome disorder she doesnt have a couple of the listed characteristics but she definately has the disorder.

Pamela
  • Hi and thank you for your advice. I feel a bit daft now as I should have thought of that. :oops:
    It is just that my son is not competetive! everything he does is done only if there is something in it for him and it is always done with attitude. everything else seems to fit him though.
  • admin
    Have you discussed PDA with any of the professionals who know your son? Quite a few people have printed off the information from the website and given it to teachers, doctors etc and suggested that they think it fits better. If you can convince them that it should at least be considered, then perhaps they could discuss your son with the Elizabeth Newson Centre.

The other aspect is the handling guidelines. These give a rather different approach than that taken with other ASD spectrum children. If the approach woks and the school etc. are happy to use them, then perhaps a diagnosis is not so important.
  • Hi Admin and thanks for the advice,
    It was the Clinical Psychologist who said he believes this is the correct dx due to my son's behaviour and he had dealt with him when he was younger but had recently been involved with him again.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions