Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Sophia 6 years old
  • Hi all,
    My daughter is 6 years old and being statemented for aspergers. I now believe that PDA (90% fit) is more suited.

I recieved PDA criteria phamplets from newson center, her primary school is very good, one to one teaching, and one day a week special needs teacher. Her main teacher is really good and caring for her.

I passed the criteria papers to her teacher and everyone involved. I am getting very good responses back. It is I feel definite that she has PDA.

I remember, from 3 years old, when you try to teach her something like the alphabet she would try and take over the exercise by making a new alphabet up. It got so difficult to get her to listen, we would give up.

Last year with no outside help at all. The school restricted her to mornings only. She was so uncontrolable, running away, self harm, happy and charming. Six months into year 1 and she has improved enormously. socially and educationally.

What I want is to keep the progress going. She 's just off to church with mum and took her maths and english books with her (her choice)aged 5-6 years.

She loves jokes, she is great company chatty, and She loves cutting and pasting craft work, any time of the day.

Coming to terms with this PDA

Sophia's on holiday for a week, and I have given her little in the way of demands. She is happy and active around the house. She chooses what she wants to do, PC, video, crafts or even school work. She is just a six year old running about the place.

Teaching her something new is difficult, but she loves teaching you something she knows.

I want to progress her maths and english, these are big demands as Sophia sees it.
    As recomended in the newson papers flexibility, humor and imagination have to be used.

I'd like parents to recommend strategies, or any games, websites that they have come across that may help.

I'd love to do word cards, but this is to much for her at the moment. She did do it once, while using a torch in a dark room.

Questions

After diagnosis from newson center do people get more support or strategies to deal with PDA? or is that it, these papers are all there is!

Can anyone recommend a good book dealing with PDA?

I will keep you informed of strategies I come a cross
  • webbwebb
    Hi I have an 11 year old boy with P.D.A. I agree humour and reverse psycology work really well with my son. Neither myself or my husband have been able to get our son to put pen to paper for approx. 2 years but he will do a few words on the computer when he wants too. We have had to leave his education to the school, where he will co-operate most of the time.
    In answer to your questions I'm afraid the only info. I have had to read is from The Elizabeth Newson Centre. I have not seen any other books etc. about this disorder.
    I have been to the P.D.A. conferences in Nottingham a few times and I try to keep tapping to the web-sites.
    I haven't had a diagnosis for my son from the Centre so I'm not sure about support or follow up sessions/stratagies, I haven't heard of any. Unlike Autism/Aspergers there hasn't been a lot of research, work, writing or studies into what really works for these children, but we are all living in hope that more work will be done soon!!!!
  • "We should all be more active in passing on our own experiences"

Thanks webb,

I can get Sophia to work if she chooses it or I make it a regular fun event, not to successfully though. but anything helps. She has a hundred PC learning games, enjoying the art drawing types. She has the leap pad machines, cheaper games are available at ASDA at the moment.

I read an autism web site. It said that PDA could just be a part of Aspergers.

I am so confused with Sophia. Her statmenting process should start in March/April when I hope to get a better idea of her condition(s). But at the moment I sometimes feel yes she is different, other times no, she is not. Probably depends if I am putting demands on her. To me she's a checky little geordie lass full of fun and great company.

I keep hearing myself repeat the phrase: "the parents without knowing, adapt to the childs condition." We had totally adapted our lives to Sophias condition without knowing. I feel we as parents have to re-educate ourselves.

Strategy
    One little exercise I want to encourage after school, is to catch a ball, then throwing, then different types of batting. I had a good conversation with a girls cricket coach. Who's own girl now plays for England.

I hope this would increase her physical condition, encourage her to play more sports. Better eye to hand co-ordination and fun.
  • Hi all, (updating you with my progress)

I have been to a two meetings this week with aspergers societies. I have loads of paper work to read. my local society was very friendly and had books, videos and understanding a plenty. Looking back I was probably too eager, chatty and resouce hungry. understandable, as I have been alone for over two years.

How do I feel,
    CONFUSED, is it PDA or Aspergers.
    SCARED, you read so many bad stories about dr's, LEA's councils.
    WORRIED, about her changing teachers in September, schools in 3 years time and the rest.

I feel that after hearing Aspergers explained fully, that I may have Aspergers myself. It rang so many bells with me. I will make an appointment with my dr.

The school is still briliant, Sophia teacher is trying the recommended strategies of puppets and choice mixed with fun. She is so caring of Sophia. Apparently her class mates are very forgiving of Sophia.

Sophia went to a coloured strings class (violin) she was so good, the wife and I watched waiting for the erruptions, she wriggled, she talked about her experiences, but we feel managed to get through the 20 minutes with a group of kids perfectly. Even the queue for the door went well. She saw she was not going to be first, groaned, stamped her foot a little and went to the back of the queue.

I was 40 mins late to pick her up this week, she had been perfect. Usually she would have pulled the place apart. A good week. She is still biting kids on occassion.
  • webbwebb
    I'm sorry your so confused, it can take time to sort things out in ones own mind about our children and ourselves.
    It's a very big spectrum and it can be difficult for parents and professionals to understand where on the spectrum our children are.
    Try not to let the details of the diagnosis worry you too much afterall Sophia hasn't suddenly changed she's still your little daughter and there still isn't a miracle cure for either Aspergers or PDA!!
    Glad to hear your local society was helpful, I don't suppose they knew much about PDA did they?
    Try not to worry about the future, even children with special needs can learn/change; so just think about the next few weeks and its situations because who knows what will happen next year!

Keep your chin up!
  • Sophia
    The school have arranged for me to see the home worker!

Well Sophia's new target is to get her to sleep for 9pm. So bath at 7pm did. Read stories did. Then I fall asleep and she gets up and bothers mum. 9.30pm she fell asleep. Wakes at 7am and watches TV, will not go to school, thinks it is Saturday. Crying and fighting. I get her to school, crying all the way. Her assistant teacher uses distraction tactics on her and she calms down. I feel like a right bully.

I should have asked the homeworker what experience she has of Aspergers/PDA!

From as young as one year old, I have had to drive her up and down dual-carriageways at 11 pm to get her to sleep. Its not just a bad parenting issue!

I know what I have to do, and that will not include being a bad bully.

The school is great, but they do not always get the full picture. Sophia suffers from hot feet, she will take her socks and shoes off at school and wash her feet in the sink. "No she must not do this, you are a bad parent". I suggest a spare pair of shoes. NO NO NO

Three months later I get a note saying "please bring in a spare pair of sandals!" It's as if they are robots, they are good with her education, but nobody is looking after her welfare. (breaktime mens breaktime)

On the good side.

Her doctor has diagnosed PDA a number of times and will look at this more closley. We have an appointment in 2 weeks.

P.S I feel I need the label, so that I have a defence against the horrible people. And that I can give Sophia more love and understanding, without the guilt!

by the way it might be a good idea to say which authority we are all in. Northampton.

With PDA she comes up with loads of tactics,
  • webbwebb
    Hi good to hear from you.

I'm so glad you have found a doctor that can diagnose PDA maybe you will finally know one way or the other ie Aspergers or PDA or both????
    Ive not heard of a "home worker", check why she is coming to see you and yes does she know anything about Aspergers or PDA.
    RE: sleep - have you heard of Melatonin, a hormone not a sleeping pill, which can help children to get off to sleep. My Aspergers son takes it and it works a treat!

All the best for your appointment in 2 weeks.
  • Lixina

Wakes at 7am and watches TV, will not go to school, thinks it is Saturday.

I can relate. I have two modes at home - "need to get going soon" and "nothing planned for today". I tend to be very slow getting ready if I'm in "nothing planned today" mode, and then Dad gets anxious because we're going to be late and it turns into a conflict.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions