Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
  • SGCmum
    Hi. Does anyone have experience of CBT with demand avoidance. My daughter is due to start with this to help with her extreme anxiety. I've tried a bit of amateur stuff myself with little success, for obvious reasons.
  • webbwebb
    I would say, if it is being offered give it a try, for 2 reasons -

1. Our children are all different, some respond to CBT, some can't because they are too rigid in their thinking patterns.
    My son AS, at age 12 saw a lovely Psychologist, well trained in ASD. She tried 2 sessions of CBT and had to admit it was not going to work. He is extremely intelligent but very rigid thinking. We eventually tried meds (antidepressant) and this worked for him ie lowered his anxiety.
    My daughter age 16 (AS) also tried CBT when her anxiety gave her panic attacks and she couldn't attend college - The CBT really helped her to understand why and what she was panicking about.
    My son with PDA at age 16-18 had many sessions with a psychologist regarding Emotional Regulation, the psychologist said my son (average IQ) would never have been able to do CBT.

2. If you are being offered CBT (by GP or CAMHS?) then take it, try it, if it doesn't work for your daughter ask them for something else that could work!
    At least your daughter will have tried it and can then move on. If it works it will be something she will be able to use to try to keep her anxiety lower.

• HarHer
    Hello,

I agree with Webb, if it is being offered, try it. My youngest had CBT and although it did not work for him at that time, the experience helped us and the psychologist to think about approaches that may or may not work for him.

My eldest son is receiving a talk based therapy at the moment and this is helping him enormously, but it has taken several years for him to get to the stage where he is receptive to this approach.
  • SGCmum
    Thank you both, that's grest advice. I hadn't thought the if it doesn't work, it might be a starting point to what will.
  • RhanHRhanH
    My friends daughter with PDA was offered CBT, they were very sceptical to start with but were encouraged to speak with the psychologist first and together they were able to work out a short programme that was benefical; it helped her understand some of the reasons why she can become anxious. They did however agree that this wasn't the right solution longer-term so are now working on alternative approaches. They would definitately agree it was a good starting point.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.