Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Neurological?
  • Nicky
    Does anyone know if PDA is a neurological condition?

Nicky
  • webbwebb
    Hi Nicky

I'm afraid I'm not very good when it comes to defining things but here goes a little explination.
    PDA is a part of the Autistic Spectrum but a diagnosis in it's own right.
    I believe (and I am open for someone to correct me if I am wrong) that Autism is a disorder that originates/stems from the brain.
    The way it has been described to me many times is that - In a certain part of the brain(the frontal lobe area) things are not quite wired up properly.
    So if PDA stems from a disability in the brain and Neurology is condition within the brain then I think it may be a Neurological condition?
    I do hope more people reply!
    Paula
  • dirtmother
    We were at the Elizabeth Newsom Centre recently and we were told (very clearly and emphatically) that our son is not autistic and is not on the autistic spectrum, but that pathological demand avoidance syndrome was a possibility. The written report says he has PDA.

It would be useful to know why you want to know if it is a neurological disorder - if you are asking if it should be dealt with by a neurologist, then probably not, if you are trying to get people to understand that it is serious, not bad parenting and not going to go away, then yes!
  • webbwebb
    I don't think I thought enough about what I said before my last post.
    PDA falls within the Family Of Pervasive Developmental Disorders and maybe closely linked to the Autistic Spectrum. I do not believe that the Elizabeth Newson Centre would say that it is on the Autistic Spectrum but they do say in one of their publications that the word "autistic spectrum" is loosely used to describe the whole family of Pervasive Developmental Disorders of which PDA is definately one.
    There are Genetic and other links between PDA and ASD.
    I still can not find out whether PDA could be classified as a nerological condition but there is probably a difference between a Development Disorder and a Nerological condition.
    Someone must know the answer to this one!
    Paula
  • I would say that Aspergers and Autism are neurological conditions: see below (taken from a website related to neurological conditions - I have also been on a website ran by Harvard university (called braintalk)relating to neurological conditions where they had a forum relating to both autism and aspergers). This info is from a different "neurological" related website.

G L O S S A R Y

Asperger’s
    Asperger’s is sometimes referred to as high functioning autism. All those with Asperger’s, by definition, have a normal IQ. Often, Asperger’s is not diagnosed till later in life, though increasingly it is being diagnosed early. Those with Asperger’s have difficulty in social interaction, tend to be considered eccentric, and often have monomanias. However, they are able to function in the world of the more neurotypical. It is named after Hans Asperger, who originally described it in Vienna in 1944. Many people with Asperger's consider their condition a difference rather than a disorder, and wish to choose for themselves what they will be, and how they are to be seen.

Autism (Tabula Rasa, The Boy Who Wanted to be a Robot)
    A developmental neurological condition, usually appearing by age three, which is characterized by a difficulty in social communication and interaction. Most interests tend to be reclusive, and often the interests are fixated on a single subject matter. Autistics usually exhibit stimming—repetitive, self stimulating behavior such as rocking or tapping. Language development is often delayed. Autistics also often display great sensitivity to outside stimuli, such as noises. Sometimes autism is accompanied by great facility in math or music or memory.

As PDa is related, and the literature from Nottinham states it is a pervasive developmental disorder and it is biological I would say that it too is a neurological condition.

I am not a medical expert this is just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions