Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
PDA in young children
  • Lixina
    What were your kids like around 2-5 years old?
  • webbwebb
    Hi

At that age my son was:

Extremely Hyper-active.
    Would not come when we called his name.
    Hated physical touch
    Had Meltdowns all day long
    No sense of danger - "ran off" where ever we were and never realised he was lost/never cried because he realised he was lost.
    Had very little speech ie he still could not form sentences with 3 words.
    Could not dress himself.
    Ignored his parents requests!

Hope this helps
    Paula
  • Moose
    At this age it was clear he was different, but many of the characteristics could have been interpreted as very positive attributes, rather than difficulties. Perhaps that is/was due to my 'glass half full' perspective on most things.

Highly energetic, always on the go.
    Single minded determination, stubborn.
    Unable to learn from normal praise/reward or sanctions etc.
    Incredibly observant and creative.
    gifted impersonator
    Into anything and everything.
    Little fear.
    Volatile.
    many tactile sensory issues.
    highly imaginative.
    obsessive with certain people.
    emotionally charged and extreme, full range of emotions and empathic, but either 'on' or 'off'.

There really was a lot of promise and many indicators of bright child. We felt that he just required channelling in the right direction.
    Much of what we saw was not that different to most children in terms of the types of qualities or difficulties. What did make him different was the intensity of these. It was like he had all the 'good' and 'bad' points of a junior Mr average, but they were all magnified in the extreme.

neville
  • beccih
    My son was also:

Very, very active
    Related far better to adults, craved adult attention 24/7
    Didn't play independently, but did join in with others games but needed to control.
    Got intensely frustrated by tiny things
    Physically aggressive to other children (sometimes for no reason)
    Rarely complied with instructions unless highly rewarded or if we used 'reversed psychology'
    Was late to talk but developed a superb vocabulary, almost overnight, that soon surpassed his peers'.
    Never seemed to understand that he was a child not an adult, actually I still think he doesn't understand that one
    :)

Becky
  • mango69
    Again my son was also very active, I used to run him ragged to get rid of as much energy as possible in the hope that he wouldn't have so many meltdowns.
    Meltdowns +++ for up to 3 hours at a time.
    Never did ANYTHING I asked him to - or anything ANYBODY asked him to unless it was part of his own agenda!
    Could not transition from one thing to another, waking up, going to sleep, going out, coming back, turning the telly off, everything...
    Could read by 3 and played all his nursery rhymes on the pre-school xylophone
    Smashed up all his toys, the occasional window and other stuff regularly in anger
    Loved using puppets or enjoyed making me talk for inanimate objects eg, buildings we were going to - eg the gym ("Hi, nice to see you Max etc etc")
    Margo
  • Abbey
    We are only just leaving this age group (daughter 4.5 now).

- Irritable, unsettled, unhappy as baby and toddler (on one three week holiday couldn't find a single photo of her smiling!)
    - Late to start to play with any toys (even then only role play toys, e.g. toy kitchen)
    - Either slumped on settee sucking thumb and refusing to engage in any play, or stuck in some highly creative imaginary role play where she wouldn't shut up (talking to herself, imaginary friends, dolls, etc)
    - As Margo mentioned, huge problems with transitions of any kind (waking up, turning TV off, mealtimes, bathtime, going out, coming home...)
    - Intense need to be in control (meltdowns could be caused by me turning right in the car when she wanted to go left)
    - Biggest tantrums due to the smallest of things (wrong colour cup or plate, not wanting milk on cereals, etc)
    - Playschool asked if she had had hearing test as didn't respond to her name
    - Struggled with play dates (found her hiding under table when friends wouldn't go along with her games)
    - Reward charts wouldn't work (wanted reward but wouldn't do what was needed)
    - Adults seem/ed to love her - craves adult company and will talk to anyone if she likes look of them (strangers included), but gets too close to unfamiliar adults
  • Garden
    My daughter was passive - very controlling. Always knew what she wanted and would not tolerate anything else. Would make a beeline for the toys she wanted at e.g. Christmas, birthdays (always to do with role play) and would more or less dump the rest (especially anything to do with crafts or books). Role played excessively. If she had a 'play' handbag it contained appropriate things - play keys, play purse etc. Never contained random stuff like her sister would do - and she was doing this aged 2.

She sucked a dummy incessantlly and all attempts to get her to give it up were a disaster. She would only wear trousers, would want the same tshirt over and over again.

If we operated life on her terms everything was fine, but if we tried to get her to do sth else, sth we wanted, then it would turn into a tantrum. She could throw terrible, panicky tantrums or just whine for England.

Hope this helps. They are not all active/aggressive.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions