Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
PDA or Attachment Anxiety Disorder
  • Kelly
    Hello,

I haven't been very active recently - I have been so busy trying to resolve my daughters education and working through my separation that life ceased for a while!!!!

After waiting many months for an appointment to meet with the local Child Pyschologist I finally had that appointment and was told that my local health authority don't recognise PDA and that they feel Georgina has an Attachment Anxiety Disorder - in other words when she was 6 months old she failed to form an attachment to me, so we are on the waiting list for counselling. Has anyone else found this?? Is it common to have this as a suggested diagnosis as well or have i been barking up the wrong tree????

Please let me know what your experience has been.

Kelly
  • Not a diagnosis like that but part of the threat (and the part that she was prepared to put in writing) from the consultant was that if she was unable to diagnose autism, our son's bonding and attachment would be examined in great detail.

PDA and attachment disorders would seem to me to be very different (though presumably can co-exist)
  • webbwebb
    Hi Kelly

I'm sorry but I hadn't heard of Attachment Anxiety Disorder until you mentioned it so I don't think I can be of much help.
    If your local health authority don't recognise PDA(as many don't) then may be they are trying to find an alternative diagnosis for your daughter(that may or may not be correct).
    Maybe PDA and AAD can co-exist, I do not know.
    Why not give the counselling a try but set some kind of time limit ie 6-12 mths. I have known people go through 5 years of counselling and family therapy with no satisfactory outcome/diagnosis.
    However sometimes these sessions give the professionals a better chance to see our children at their best or worst and it gives them more time to be able to give a better diagnosis.
    Hope this helps.
    Paula
  • Jac
    Hi, has your daughter been diagnosed with PDA?

If so where was she diagnosed?

Who did you see in the health authority?
  • Jac
    Hi, has your daughter been diagnosed with PDA?

If so where was she diagnosed?

Who did you see in the health authority?
  • I live in South Yorkshire (maybe a different part) and the LEA and certain parts of the NHS do recognise PDA but not a lot of people have much experience of it. My son went to Nottingham last year for his diagnosis, but was initially diagnosed by someone at the child development centre at my local hospital. Perhaps it is your consultant who does not believe in this condition so would you be able to get a referal to someone else who is familiar with PDA???

would be happy for you to contact me via PM if you have more questions
  • Jac
    Hi.

I would strongly advise that you contact nottinghame where you got the diagnosis ang ask them to write to whoever states that they do not recognise PDA as a diagnosis.

Get them to fight your corner for you.

Who did you see at nottingham?

Was it at the diagnostic centre?.

Not sure how you Pm on this site.

Sorry to be dumb what do i do to PM?
  • Hi, my son was assessed at the Elizabeth Newson centre in Nottingham.

Dorinda Miller was the main person carrying out the assessment of my son, along with two others who also assessed him doing various activities. It was a very thorough assessment, and the report send to myself and various other professionals was excellent.

If you wish to message someone, in the menu at the top of the page (below the forum title) there is a link which says messaging (it has a tiny picture of what I think is a piece of blank paper next to the text). If you click on the word messaging it will take you to the messaging place and I think you just click on pm and select my username. Will have to try that now, it is so long since I used it!
  • Jac
    Hi, i would really stongly advise that you ask Nottingham to fight your corner, after all they are challenging another professional.
    Are they aware that this has been said to you?

I think if you do this your authority will back down.

What they are effectivly saying is that it was an emotional cause, where your diagnosis says it is neurological cause.
    That is rather insulting to you and to Nottingham, you could say that you would like them to provide evidence to back up their insulting claim or withdraw it.

I can only say if it were me,if they didn't withdraw the claim i would take legal action against them.

Good luck Jac.
  • webbwebb
    Hi everyone,

I think some wires have got crossed on this topic!!!!
    Maybe everyone should re-read the original post by Kelly.
    It may be helpful to say Hi and the persons name when addressing some one directly.
    Hope this thread gets sorted.
    Paula
  • Jac
    Sorry, my mistake,due to sleep depravation.
  • Kelly
    Thanks for all your advice - I am going back to the PCT and see if I can draw the funding for refural to Nottingham - unfortunately at the moment they are refusing and I can't afford the cost myself....

The couselling is scheduled to begin the end of March so I have agreed to run this along side any other treatment / diagnostic processes. The Paediatrician who refuses to acknowledge PDA retires after Easter and it seems that no one is willing to take her on - so I may have to wait before I go any further in challenging her assessment.

I will keep on going as always!
  • Hi Kelly,

You might have more luck approaching the Local Education Authority for funding. We got nowhere very slowly with the Primary Care Trust and I always felt I was dealing with people whose general competence was poor - both the more administrative people and the medically qualified people making funding decisions (I'd had previous unrelated dealings with one of them and his knowledge base was very poor but his confidence in himself was high...)

After several attempts we then tried the LEA who failed to respond in any way to two letters, but mysteriously decided to fund the assessment a few days after I made a formal complaint' about their failure to respond (sadly authorities get into more trouble for failing to 'tick the boxes' than to make high quality decisions)

The LEA have a lot more to gain if they are trying to cope with a child who presents difficulties in school, compared with the health services.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions