Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
medication
  • hi my son has just been diagnosed with pda he has been prescribed methylphenidate
    has any one else tried this medicine and can anyone tell me anything else about it. thanks D
  • webbwebb
    Hi

Sorry I haven't heard of it but hope some one else has and can reply to you.
    Take Care
    Paula
  • Pamela
    Hello there Jacksmum...I enquired about some kind of medication a couple of years ago for Olivia that could help her with her anxieties, impulsiveness and aggression but her phsyc would not prescribe anything. Possibly because she is on a huge cocktail of meds for her epilepsy?? who knows...what is the med for your son is on for exactly?
  • mango69
    Hi there,
    This is ritalin, has he been diagnosed with ADHD as well? Is he hyperactive? Have a look in the drugs section of the forum - I think some others may have been prescribed it - dont think its specifically recommended for PDA but I'm sure its given on an individual basis depending on likelihood of it helping. Is he on it for a period of time to see if it helps? Is it helping?
  • Hi
    My son has been taking Methylphenidate (Ritalin) for 18 months now. I know a lot of people are against it but it has helped my son so much. He has hyper active tendancies as well as PDA but we have found that as well as it calming him enough to help him concentrate etc his PDA is more manageable. We still have the usual ups and downs with the PDA though. I have very rarely given it to Daniel in school holidays and weekends as I think he needs to have some time not taking it but on the rare times I have given it the difference in him is unbeleivable. Like having a different child. His schoolwork has improved and although he's still way behind his classmates it is making a difference. When Dan spat his tablet down the sink (pretending to have taken it) school were straight on the phone as they obviously saw a big difference in him. Hope this helps
    Donna
  • THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES JACK ALSO HAS MILD AUTISM AND TRAITS OF ADHD FORGOT TO SAY THAT IN LAST POST , WELL HES ON DAY 3 AND SCHOOL SAY THEY HAVE NOTICE A DIFFERERENCE WITH HIS WORK ,
    , NOT SURE WETHER THATS THE MEDICATION OR JUST JACK BEING JACK . I'M NOT PLANNING ON GIVING HIM IT AT WEEKENDS SO HE HAS A BREAK FROM IT .

IS THERE ANY BEFRIENDING GROUPS FOR PDA?
    WE'VE HAD JACKS NAME DOWN FOR OVER A YEAR WITH THE AUTISTIC SOC FOR A BEFRIENDER BUT NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE KNW OF ANYTHING FOR PDA. THANKS JULIA
  • webbwebb
    Hi Julia

Sorry I haven't heard of any PDA befriending groups.

If you haven't done so already try ringing the NAS about the befriending, at least every 3 months if possible, just to let them know that you are still interested in having a befriender.
    We have had some fantastic NAS befrienders and I would recommend them!

Paula
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions