Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
STATEMENT OF SEN
  • HI COULD ANY ONE HELP ME . I WANT TO APPLY FOR A STATEMENT OF SEN FOR JACK HE HAS PDA AUTISM AND ADHD. HIS MAINSTREAM SCHOOL CANNOT FULFILL HIS NEEDS AND I HAVE FOUND A SPECIAL SCHOOL THAT I THINK WOULD .
    I DONT KNOW WETHER HE WOULD QUALIFY OR HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO GET A STATEMENT . CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY IFO THANKS D
  • Try going to www.derbyshireparentpartnership.co.uk, then into the leaflet section and download the statutory assessment leaflet - tells you how to go about it. Its brief and to the point.

Might also be worth talking to a support worker at your local parent partnership, they can help you with all the paperwork and evidence etc.

Also, I found when I was struggling, that www.network81.org has a parent friendly handbook on the whole process. (This is a parent run orgaisation). In fact of all the information I've trawled through over the years, for me, this had the most understandable and clear information

Happy reading
  • mango69
    You need to speak to the SENCO at Jack's mainstream school. You can usually start the process off yourself by requesting a statement to be initiated by writing to the SEN section of the LEA. A number of reports will then need to be requested from various people including an education psychologist which the school should arrange. Their report is usually the one that holds the most weight with the SEN department so its worth knowing what they say about Jack. Any other reports from various professionals (anyone else Jack has seen) supporting a statement would be very helpful and your own letter of support is also a must - outlining why YOU think that he needs the support he needs. In Sheffield it takes about 6 months from initiating the statement process to getting a statement if they think he needs it but be prepared they may only give him a statement for a certain number of hours per week which may not be enough for a special school who may require a child to have a full quota of hours on their statement - check with special school you have found exactly how much they need on the statement. If thats the case it may be worth looking at a different mainstream school - one that has experience with children with behavioural difficulties or an integrated resource (kind of a halfway option). It can be a lengthy process but if you dont get what you want - keep on appealing for more hours. Sometimes the SEN department will only increase the hours when they see that the hours they have given you has not worked. This is the bit that I found the hardest because we knew that Max would need one to one ie a full statement and even though everyone recommended it we did not get it without a fight. They may be more sympathetic in Nottingham especially as the Elizabeth Newson centre is there- I think there are a high proportion of children with special needs here so our SEN section is extremely hard up so they dont like to let go of money if they can at all help it!!
    Good luck - it can be a bit demoralising but keep going and keep badgering - its worth it in the end for Jack and yourselves.
    Margo
  • Kelly
    Hello

I thought you may be interested to know that I managed to draw down funding from the Behavioural Unit whilst the statement process was underway. this enabled the school to employ someone to work with georgina whilst the process was underway.

Where I ran into difficulties is when the suggested diagnosis from the educational physc (PDA) differed from the Paediatrician (Attachement Disorder) - we are still fighting that one but the funding is continuing based on her behaviour so I am not complaining just yet!

Good Luck!

Kelly
  • webbwebb
    Hi Jacksmum

There are 2 ways of applying for a Statement.
    Ask the SENCO to start the process for you OR write direct to the LEA yourself stating why you feel your son needs a Statement.

I chose the later when I applied for Statements for my 2 sons on the Spectrum, I was successful both times.

It is hard to get a Statement in Nottm. but not impossible.

If the mainstream school says they can't meet his needs then your on to a winner. If they feel they can meet his needs then it will be up to you to say they can't and why they can't.

Parent Partnership in Nottm. are excellent. I certainly valued their help.

My son with PDA/Autism is now at Rosehill, Nottm. He was previously at Foxwood, Bramcote.
    Where are you thinking of sending Jack?

Statementing usually takes 9 months.

Take Care
    Paula
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions