Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Psychotheropy
  • Maryann
    i wanted to make a poll but cant find how here, anyways.

The Join Area Review people from the every child matters thing is currently reviewing Nottingham. My daughter is 1 of the 5 children they are taking an indepth look at. i cannot wait for the meeting with them in a couple of weeks as i have a lot to say about the the services in our life. My biggest peeve is Psychotheropy, i do not believe that they help my child, and i do not believe that ours knows anything about autism/pda, and has such an influence over social services, child protection etc, and people with similar children have agreed.

i would like to know the opinions of the people here that have or have had their child in phychotheropy and would like to know how it got on etc.

thanks
    maryann
  • webbwebb
    Hi maryann

I have 2 sons on the autistic sectrum, one Aspergers and one PDA/Autism. Niether of them have had Psycotherapy. We have never been refered to this service and it has never been mentioned to us.

However my best friend is a Psycotherapist/Counsellor. She has never suggested that Psycotherapy could be of any use to my boys. She has said in the past that Psycotherapy is used if there has been a significant, traumatic event in ones life.

I will talk to her again in the next few days and let you know more about what she thinks of psycotherapy for ASD/PDA children and adults.

Paula
  • dirtmother
    We were 'threatened' with it if we refused to agree to further assessment which was clearly going to lead to an ASD diagnosis.

Our son has PDA but EN, verbally anyway, were adamant that he is not autistic.

It should be saved IMHO for the victims of some of the trendy "don't let your baby manipulate you" feeding and sleep training regimes and others, not for children with PDA.
  • Maryann
    thank you very much for your responses i have the appointment with them tomorrow , i will tell you how i got on.
  • Hi there

My son has AS/PDA and not heard of getting any psychotherapy not that we are getting anything anyway! only just got my son dx a few wks ago.

Bambi x
  • webbwebb
    Hi Maryann

I was wondering how you got on with your recent appointment ie every child matters review?
    I spoke to my friend who is a psychotherapist and counsellor to adults. She said that psychotherapy could be useful if there were other problems as well as the ASD/PDA.
    She talked about loss/berevement, emotional problems, self harm, problems from the past etc etc.
    She said that she didn't have enough details to be able to say whether or not it would be beneficial to your child.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Paula
  • Maryann
    havent heard anything from the interview think it may just be one way feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions