Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Pride of Britain
  • Amanda
    I'm amazed to say I got a phonecall yesterday telling me I had been short listed for The Pride of Britain ITV carer of the year award.

They are coming to The Maze next week, the charity I started to support parents of children on the autistic spectrum, to make a documentary and then it goes to a regional vote with me against 3 other finalists to choose a winner.

I was terrified but have been reminded that any publicity about parenting children on the spectrum is good publicity and so I intend to use this to help as many as possible.

Look out for me on the tv I'll be the fat one that looks half asleep lol
  • Hi there can i just say that you more than deserve this award for what you have achieved and the support you give to other carers aswell. Wil definately be looking out for you .
    :D Lisa
  • mango69
    You certainly deserve it - good luck and let us know what day etc it will be on telly
    xx
  • Amanda
    At first I didnt want it, and I have whittled and worried myself stupid for days now about whether I deserve it, but the thing is it's not only me that I represent, it's The Maze and all it stands for and it's every carer that asks for help and doesnt qualify but who still knuckles down and gets on with it, sacrificing their own life, loves and often sanities in the process.
    The papers and the TV people are coming today and I'm all dressed up but I just hope they don't show my feet as I have damaged the ligaments in my ankle and can only just manage my trainers at the mo lol

Wish me luck xx
  • Pamela
    I have posted a reply for you on the papers website....well done missus!
  • webbwebb
    Hi

So glad you are getting lots of publicity for the Maze.
    You really do deserve the award!
    I have put a reply on the eve post site.
    See you next week.
    Paula
  • webbwebb
    MANDY!!!!

How do we vote for you??? I hear we should vote on Fri 21 sept ? BUT WHERE????

We all want to vote!!!
  • Amanda
    Voting is tomorrow and the numbers will be given out on central news at some time. I'll post them as soon as I have them.
  • Amanda
    Here are the voting details.....

Carer of the Year 2007

Call 0870 241 7704 and press 2 for Mandy Haxby
    Or you can text CENTRAL EAST followed by 2 to 63330.

Of course I am number 2

Thanks to Everyone who votes
    Voting closes on Sunday night.

Mandyx
  • webbwebb
    Hi Everyone

MANDY WON THE REGIONAL FINAL OF "PRIDE OF BRITAIN - CARER OF THE YEAR"

CONGRATULATIONS MANDY!!!!!!

When is the National Final?

You are a great carer, I know cause I have been around you and witnessed it myself.
    7 days a week you care for your family and everyone else.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
  • webbwebb
    Hi Everyone

The National Final of The Carer Of The Year 2007 is Oct 9th I believe.
    Mandy is one of 16 people from the UK who have won a regional award who will go forward to the final in London.
    Mandy has 2 boys on the Autistic Sepctrum, one with PDA and a daughter.
    BUT she has also opened a drop in place for parents of children with Autism or PDA, called The Maze.
    It is open 5 days a week, is run by volunteers who offer advice, support, help at school meetings, help with completing benefit forms etc. etc.
    She will be on the TV in the morning(forgot which program GMTV or This Morning?) and the Ceremony will be in the evening at a London Hotel.

Mandy has put alot of effort into the Maze and she deserves the award and it will bring much needed publicity to Autism and the Maze.

Everyone of us is a great carer and we all deserve a medal, Mandy will be at the Ceremony representing every parent with a PDA or Autistic child because she really does know what we are all going through!!!

Look out for "THE PRIDE OF BRITIAN - CARER OF THE YEAR 2007" in your TV guide(Oct 8th?)

We are all thinking of you Mandy!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions