Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
PDA survey
  • Lixina
    You may remember awhile back I did a survey on PDA. Well, I'm doing another one - this one focused on the impact of PDA on different kinds of empathy.

See, there are two distinct types of empathy. Cognitive empathy is the ability to figure out how another person is feeling, and see the world from someone else's perspective. Affective/emotional empathy means experiencing the right emotional response to your understanding of another person's situation.

There's a lot of research showing that autistic people have normal affective empathy but poor cognitive empathy. What this means is that autistic people often don't know how others are feeling, but if they understand what you're feeling, they can be just as caring as neurotypicals are. I'm interested in seeing if PDA shows a similar pattern to autism, and how this relates to associated behavioral issues.

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/ettina/empathy-types/
  • Lixina
    Anyone? So far only one person has filled out my survey.
  • Roo
    Hi I have filled it out :D

Doesn't take long to fill in so log on and get it done!!!!!

Are you doing this as part of a dissertation? Just nosy.
  • Sorry Lixina.
    I started to fill it out but couldn't complete it because
    all the options (strongly disagree etc) weren't displayed.
    I'm not sure why...maybe a limitation of doing all this on
    my iPhone?
  • Lixina
    Did you try putting two fingers on the screen and moving them together? This zooms out on an iPhone.

Other than that, all I can suggest is try to fill it out next time you have access to a computer.

I'm not doing this for a school thing. I decided to do this survey because I read something that made me wonder in the 'Understanding PDA in Children' book (which I've finally gotten!) and decided to test it out empirically. So it's an independent project.
  • Roza
    Hi Lixina

I have tried to complete it however I have found it really difficult to answer a lot of the questions as I simply don't know the answer to a lot of them and so much depends on what mood he is in and what day you catch him on etc etc. Perhaps it is easier to fill in if you have a slightly older child (mine is only 5)?
  • Lixina

I have tried to complete it however I have found it really difficult to answer a lot of the questions as I simply don't know the answer to a lot of them and so much depends on what mood he is in and what day you catch him on etc etc. Perhaps it is easier to fill in if you have a slightly older child (mine is only 5)?

Well, some of the tests I included are normed for school-aged kids rather than younger kids. So they may be easier to fill out if your kid's a bit older.

What were some of the questions you had trouble with? I'd be interested to know for future test design.
  • Hi Lixina

I have just filled out the survey, a few of the questions I either couldn't answer or didn't quite understand, but there was only a few. Hope this helps.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions