Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Help with finding a someone to diagnose PDA in London Area.
  • Ali
    Hello, Does anyone know where I could get a diagnosis for my son. He already has a diagnosis of ASD but this is not very helpful for the school. We live in South west London but we can travel within London, Surrey, south east. He is 7. Our Borough is Richmond but we could go privately at first if we have to.

Ali
  • webbwebb
    Hi Ali

Good to hear from you. Finding a good professional who can diagnose PDA can be very hard. They seem to be few and scattered all over the country.
    I live in the midlands so can't name anyone in particular I'm afraid but I hope that more parents on the forum will post soon with more info.
    I presume you have read the criteria for PDA and feel this fits your son? Have school also read the diagnostic criteria and also feel he has PDA?
    Tracking down a professional that knows about PDA may mean making a few phone calls to your local diagnostic centres/development centres/Autism Teams etc. to ask if they know of a professional who can diagnose PDA.
    Hope someone else posts soon
    Paula
  • Hi, we had an independant psychologist diagnose my son PDA who I think is in london area, we also had independant SaLT who is in Birmingham who dx'd it.

Could you not go further afield and go to Nottingham and go to the Elizabeth Newson Centre who are the experts with PDA. My independant reporst didn't really help me at all as the Local Authority wouldn't acceptthe dx.

If you do want details pm me and I will give you the name of psychologist and maybe you could give him a call, he's very expensive I should warn you though. :D
  • mango69
    Hi there,
    There was a paediatrician at the Newcomen Centre at Guys Hospital called Dr Guillian Baird who used to diagnose PDA but I do not think she currently practices there anymore. You may want to try contacting this centre for advice though. I think they only do a diagnostic service once every two months! They also do hearing assesments at this clinic and probably numerous other things so make sure you get the right person to talk to:

Newcomen Child Development Centre,
    Guy's Hospital Street,
    1 St Thomas
    Postcode SE1 9RT
    Telephone 020 7955 5000

I have also contacted the Neurodevelopmental centre at Great Ormand Street Hospital to se if they know of anyone who diagnoses PDA and asked Phil Christie if he knows anyone so I will keep you posted
    Margo
  • Ali

angel child said:

Hi, we had an independant psychologist diagnose my son PDA who I think is in london area, we also had independant SaLT who is in Birmingham who dx'd it.

Could you not go further afield and go to Nottingham and go to the Elizabeth Newson Centre who are the experts with PDA. My independant reporst didn't really help me at all as the Local Authority wouldn't acceptthe dx.

If you do want details pm me and I will give you the name of psychologist and maybe you could give him a call, he's very expensive I should warn you though. :D

Yes it would be good to have the name, although it looks like we will need up going to nottingham as all advice seems to point there. Thank you so much.
  • mango69
    Phil says he has had referrals from a Dr Linda Souter at Charing Cross hospital when she has recognised the diagnosis so that could be a good alternative. Or there is Dr Raja Mukherjee at St Georges Hospital - a psychiatrist but I'm not sure if paediatric or not.
    Hope that is of more help
    Marg
  • Ali

mango69 said:

Phil says he has had referrals from a Dr Linda Souter at Charing Cross hospital when she has recognised the diagnosis so that could be a good alternative. Or there is Dr Raja Mukherjee at St Georges Hospital - a psychiatrist but I'm not sure if paediatric or not.
    Hope that is of more help
    Marg

Thank you. Dr Souter has retired. I will try st georges but I expect to go to Nottinghm now. #
    Ali
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions