Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Life outcomes for PDA in middle age and later
  • Hello all,
    My question is this...
    `what are the longer term life outcomes for established (undiagnosed) adults with PDA?`

I stumbled across PDA very recently, as I did when I discovered that I was on the ASD spectrum with many Aspie traits.
    I have done so much research and work on my Aspergers, but now find that PDA fits my life story even more accurately. (I cannot say that I totally get it yet, but will learn more as I go along) although it sounds like I will continue to have a tough life ahead as I have always done

I have had major breakthroughs in the past 4 years managing myself coping by personal acceptance of my neurodiversity. This is after a life (56 now) of struggle, confusion and not fitting in and the continual rejection that comes with this.
    Now I realise that anxiety may be a root influencr of many of my congnitive choices, big and small.

Can we ever be stable, happy and content, with rich and lasting relationships with others
    or are these things not realistic in our NT oriented world?

I live fairly solitary now, although often content. I have a very few friends but none close.
    I have held down a good job for 12 years, but my last relationship ceased because although we cared, I am such a pain in the arse that not many people can tolerate me for any longer periods of time.

I`m not unhappy per se but wondered about the chances of people like me maintaining a few close friends as I begin to wind down into semi-retirement. I have a feeling that will not happen.

I am sick of pissing people off, but am finally becoming fairly accepting that that is what I do and it is me.

Most of the reading I have done recently has been done on childhood studies; but as is noted, children turn into adults.
    I think our life stories may be of tremendous help to the youngsters who are getting the focus of research and and also researchers seeking and evaluating coping strategies of PDA`ers of this still fairly new area of study.

• webbwebb
    Hello Bornarebel,

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum, I hope you will find this a good place for support and advice.

I am one of the 'Admins' of the Forum, I've been here a long time, since 2004 and I am a similar age to yourself. I'm not a PDAer but a have an adult son who is.

I hope you will be given access to the Private PDAer's section so that you can chat with other PDAers and know the section is only used by PDAers.

You are more than welcome to keep posting in any of the other General Sections.

Pleased you have discovered PDA and feel this Profile on the Autism Spectrum 'fits' you better than Asperger's Syndrome.

There are few adults that are diagnosed with PDA due to it only being identified as another ASD in the 1980's. There are few professionals in the NHS Adult Services that have any knowledge, understanding or training in PDA, therefore many may have been incorrectly diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

The PDA Society organised a Research Meeting in Jan 2019, the first of it's kind, to try to bring together current Researchers and Professionals, a few were Researchers doing Research into Adults who may have PDA -

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/blog/2019/01/progressing-the-research

The full report on the day is due to be published soon.

Many adults say that when they learn about PDA and how it affects them/their lives and their decisions, it can at first be a relief, ie there is a reason they act and feel the way they do.

There is a new book out called 'PDA by PDAers' by Sally Cat, this book could give you the insight into PDA, how it affects you and how you might be able to understand and to some degree overcome, some of your difficulties.

There is also another book due out this month, written by Harry Thompson an adult diagnosed with PDA.

Whilst there is very little research and literature regarding adults, the PDA Society has been able to work with a few adults who have PDA, to write their Case Studies. These may be of interest to you -

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/pda-case-studies/case-studies-adults

I suppose none of us know what the future holds but with more awareness of your difficulties and ways to try to overcome them, comes more contentment.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.