Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Learning to read with PDA
  • I came home from the seminar even more convinced that reading is our priority as it would enable a lot more self-directed learning.

It really looks as though our son has dyslexia/specific reading/learning disabilities, call it what you will. The learning support team have just been into school (it was agreed that we should treat him as dyslexic until proven otherwise) but I have a horrible feeling that they've just supplied endless worksheets which doesn't sound very PDA friendly.

It sounds as though many children with PDA do learn to read (not all will have additional difficulties but some will) and I'd be interested to hear about what strategies people have used. He had Jolly Phonics down pat before entering reception just because he liked what he was exposed to through his brother, but phonics only takes you so far and he still appears completely unable to read high frequency words.

What I have most success with is asking him to find me a particular word. Until the moment he clocks on that I am trying to get him to read, he will do this, with enjoyment. I need to develop my language as 'reading' is too much of a flag to him.

Would really appreciate hearing what has been useful for other people.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions