Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Has anyone used private counsellors? Looking at CBT or Hypnotherapy or ? For school-refusing 12yo...
  • churnymum
    Lovely girl struggled with school-refusal for the last 3-4 years of Primary School but High School has just been too much.
    1st term so so, after Xmas terrible, last 6 weeks or so the absolute "I JUST CAN'T".
    TBF School is big, noisy and a bit rough; so we're looking at selling up and moving somewhere with a smaller/quieter/kinder school. (Ullapool, factually.)
    It's going to be after the summer hols now, but we really want her to have all the fab things that a good school can offer.
    SO we are thinking paying for counselling/therapy - there are quite a few counsellors in the Highland/Inverness area with different areas of expertise (we've been through CAMHS - hopeless.)
    So the question is; has anyone been down this route with high functioning PDA teen/teens - any recommendations or dare I say, warnings?
    With thanks in advance for your expertise (which I hope you will share..)
  • Holly59

churnymum said:

Lovely girl struggled with school-refusal for the last 3-4 years of Primary School but High School has just been too much.
    1st term so so, after Xmas terrible, last 6 weeks or so the absolute "I JUST CAN'T".
    TBF School is big, noisy and a bit rough; so we're looking at selling up and moving somewhere with a smaller/quieter/kinder school. (Ullapool, factually.)
    It's going to be after the summer hols now, but we really want her to have all the fab things that a good school can offer.
    SO we are thinking paying for counselling/therapy - there are quite a few counsellors in the Highland/Inverness area with different areas of expertise (we've been through CAMHS - hopeless.)
    So the question is; has anyone been down this route with high functioning PDA teen/teens - any recommendations or dare I say, warnings?
    With thanks in advance for your expertise (which I hope you will share..)

Hi,
    I will PM you about the Highlands , can put you in touch with a mum who lives in Inverness .
    Who I found was brilliant and she will travel to the Borders or you can choose to go to her is Jude Phillips from Grow Communications at Polmont near Falkirk . Jude and Suzy diagnosed my youngest with PDA . I was refused an out of area referral from the Borders .
    CAMHS are a disaster .

Pat xx
  • Holly59
    https://judephilip.wordpress.com/autism-diagnostic-assessments/

Jude was the first to be recommend by the PDA Society in Scotland . You can chat to her for 30 minutes for free and discuss the services she and her team offers .
  • webbwebb
    A therapist that understands your daughters difficulties associated with her PDA really is best - you can waste a lot of time and money on therapists who don't understand your child and therefore can't help them.
    Holly59 has given a very good suggestion!

When you are ready to look for another school, find one that is small, very understanding, flexible to her needs, has some small rooms for her to retreat to when she feels overwhelmed, will consider PDA Training for the staff, will consider your daughter on a part-time timetable initially or in the future etc

I hope having at least 6 months off school will help to reduce her anxiety and that a very slow transition into her next school will help her to adjust.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.