Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
School Assembley about "Lock Down" procedures.
  • bagpuss24
    Not sure if anyone on here has experience of this...

Last Monday (8th) -our Sons primary school held a "special assembly" regarding a 'Lock Down' procedure at school, in the event of a major incident. From what I gather this was explained to all children very carefully.
    Though - naturally, some were upset by this.
    Luckily for us - my Son's class wasn't in school at the time - so didn't take part.

Even though - this has made our son even more anxious (we have enough problems getting him out the front door as it is) and now is worried about a Terror attack at school, or something dreadful happening in school, in the Playground etc.

I understand that such procedures must be in place, children must understand why certain things need to be put in place.

Though - we don't understand why this has suddenly been introduced now, given that my eldest son got through the same school without such things being discussed.
    Given - that Terror attacks have been with us in some form or another for 100s of years.

I feel the school have handled it very well, and to the best of their abilities - though it seems to me, it's all filtering through from the Local Authority and Government.

Are any other schools doing this?

• MarieTree
    Yes, it is standard practice where I live. A lock down drill triggered so much anxiety and months of nightmares for my daughter. When I asked, the school provided me with a schedule of drills (fire, earthquake, lock down) so that I can keep her home on those days.
  • June67
    Yes all schoolss . must have a procedure in place and have assemblies and drills just as they do for fire alarms.. we all hope never to use them
  • bagpuss24
    Apologies for the late reply - it's been an 'active' few days at home.
    Thank you for the replies and also ideas!

I can understand that schools must have such procedures in place - I think, the school presented it the best they could.
    My 14y/o attended the same Primary School, and never once had such an assembly throughout his time there.

What concerned me, was why it was presented as an entire "special assembly" - on a different day - and why they didn't make it part of the normal weekly assembly; or even get individual teachers to speak to their class groups.

I never realised that the school could provide a schedule of Fire Drills - I will ask them after the holidays.

Incidentally; if there has been a Terror Attack - we have to steer clear of the constant rolling news coverage - as out son will soon get very anxious and not want to leave the house.

When I was at school we had "Protect and Survive" - telling us to paint out windows white, and hide under the table and that would save us from a Nuclear Attack..........grief!

• June67
    It is quite new requirement but I agree it would be better not to make a huge song and dance about it, just standard assembly stuff. Mind you having some procedures in place is definitely needed, a few months ago my school like others was a victim of the large hoax that reached the news. We evacuated outside on the coldest day of the year but then staff were asked to search pupils bags left inside for the 'bomb'. Strangely we all did despite none of us actually knowing what we would have done if we found anything or obviously the consequences if we had set it off. It wasn't until I got home and thought about it I realised that a) the request was not sensible, safe or reasonable, b) that we as a staff would do anything to keep our pupils safe, c) we need to think about the consequences for our own families too.
  • I've decided not to roll out this assembly out. I have policy and all staff are trained in what to do but to raise awareness or rather fear and panic by giving the pupils this information was not necessary in my opinion.
    The school should definitely be able to give you prior notice or even give your child special consideration to miss the assembly if this could cause distress.
  • bagpuss24
    Again - Thanks for the comments and advice!
    It is much appreciated.
    I will ask school when they return on Monday for a schedule of Fire Drills etc.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.