Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Advice on getting a diagnosis
  • Hedgehog71
    I really want to get my 9 yr old son assessed for PDA but can't decide how to go about it, or where to go. We are with CAMHS and I am slowly working on them to pursue an assessment but 1) it will take at least 18 months and 2) I don't think PDA is actually recognised in our area. SO I'm thinking of pursuing the private route. Places I'm considering - Elizabeth Newson Centre, Laura Wing Centre or Dr Jo Jones at healthcare4kids. I would be extremely grateful for any advice! (My son masks at school and therefore most of the evidence for a diagnosis is coming from me, or friends and neighbours.) Thanks in advance!
  • Kobi
    Hi Hedgehog71
    I'm afraid I don't have any experience of private assessments but you may find more info here: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/families/diagnosing-pda
    I was told you can struggle to get treatment on the NHS if diagnosed privately, but that may not always be the case. I noticed the private referrals also have waiting lists, so it may be worth contacting each place and checking on prices and times before you make any decisions. It took me 4 years of to-and-fro before we finally got my daughter diagnosed, and although her diagnosis doesn't mention PDA, I've found most organisations accept our opinion as they focus on the individuals needs and struggles regardless of what 'label' they have.
    Sorry couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!
  • webbwebb
    Hi Hedgehog71

There are several Independent Diagnostic Centres on the link above that Kobi has given, as long as a Diagnosis is conducted in a Multi-Disciplinary way ie 2/3 professionals doing the diagnosis together (Psychologist & Speech and Language therapist OR Paediatrician and Psychologist etc etc) and your GP makes a referral (although not totally necessary) then you Local authority should accept the diagnosis.

All 3 independent diagnostic Centres are good at diagnosing all ASD's incl the PDA Profile of ASD. You would need to telephone each one and ask what their waiting times are and their costs etc.
    (I doubt that any of them are more than 6-12 months and some could be less)

If your child masks at school it can be great to have other evidence/reports from family, friends or activity club leaders etc.

Give several a phone call on Monday :)

• Rubytuesday
    Hi,
    I have heard really good things about Dr Jo Jones from several parents in my area. I've also heard lots of positive things about Help4Psychology, but I guess it depends where you are in the country and where is most accessible. We obtained a private ASD diagnosis for my daughter and as it was conducted by a multi-disciplinary team our LA have accepted it and included it within the EHCP we've just got.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.