Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
PDA in the US for Diagnosis and Treatment
  • jejrn1
    Has anyone had any luck in the US within the mental health services that have any knowledge about PDA? I have had to do my own research for her behavior when I stumbled upon PDA. My daughter has ASD but PDA gives me the answers to her bizarre behavior and outbursts that do not fit the typical ASD. I am at my wits end trying to find resources that give me the tools I need to help her at home, school, and just every day life.
  • Rubytuesday
    Hi jejrn1 and welcome to the forum. I’m in the UK so don’t have much knowledge about PDA in the US. I believe there are some US members on here so hopefully they’ll be along soon with more information. As I understand it, PDA isn’t widely recognised in the US and I’ve heard of children getting a diagnosis of ASD with ODD, rather than PDA. There are lots of really useful resources on this website for both yourself and school. If you have a look under the menu at the top under Families that’s a good place to start. I know with my own daughter, once I started using more PDA friendly strategies it had a dramatic impact on her behaviour and the number of outbursts. She wasn’t diagnosed at the time but I remember thinking that if PDA strategies worked maybe it really was PDA!
  • webbwebb
    Hi jejrn

Whilst the PDA Profile of Autism was identified in the UK in the 1980's, there are more and more countries beginning to look into this. Australia appears to be 2nd in awareness of PDA, but we do have quite a few parents from the US contacting the Forum or our Enquiry Line for more information.

Just wanted to give you some other info that might be useful -
    PDA Matters (USA based charity) 

Facebook Groups in the US -
    PDA-USA Pathological Demand Avoidance

Our webinars are also really good for learning all aspects of PDA-
    https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/webinars

• Hi. I'd posted a rather long comment yesterday in answer to your question but it seemed to have dissolved into the ether or has been delayed in some way - so if it shows up mysteriously ...

Its been close to two years, I believe, since I began a similar search, having stumbled across the term pathological demand avoidance after I became frustrated with the results the searches were producing - I typed in his symptoms = which must have been direct synonyms for pathological demands avoids as it came up right off, lol. I'd not seen the term before, despite many long searches for better answers.

Anyroad, at that time, there was very little in the way of information here in the States but I've just briefly glanced at a few US related posts and it seems that might be changing.

In my first post I'd gone on at length as to the reasons why (in my opinion) PDA is not recognized here in the States (none of them good) but it just occurred to me that getting recognition - either at the grass roots level or officially - would be a satisfying but ultimately hollow victory because, at the end of the day, as for your daughter, my son - it all boils down to implementation of treatment and recognizing that a given disorder exists, understanding the key differences between it and similar maladies, does not equate to treatment modalities, afford any medications that are not already out there or produce a set of guidelines for the schools - who choose what mandates they follow and if and when they will follow them.

But its a necessary first step.
  • KobiKobi
    Hi

Read your response earlier today Belalugasi and thought your explanation over varying diagnoses really helpful. It can be found here https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/vanilla/discussion/comment/35793#Comment_35793
    Hopefully, you can find all your comments and discussions by clicking your username in the blue bar above. :)
  • Thank you kindly, Kobi!
  • Hello I'm a US mom struggling to help my 12 year old daughter, who has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. The traditional autism therapies simply don't work with her. Today I stumbled on the term PDA and it describes my daughter's behavior perfectly. When I try to explain to people she simply refuses to do things (brush her teeth, get dressed, eat certain textures) they don't understand. What do you mean she refuses? Make her! (I can't make her do anything.) Going to try the PANDA chart and will be giving the resources I found here to her psychiatrist and social worker. Thank you so much for the information posted here.
  • RhanHRhanH
    Hi Mommalvy, welcome to the Forum, I'm so pleased you're finding our information helpful. Please do ask whatever questions you may have.
  • Rubytuesday
    Welcome to the forum, so glad you’ve found it. Hope the resources are helpful. Lots of knowledgeable people here if you have any questions.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.