Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
"Hope for the Violently Aggressive Child" book and related blog post
  • BerniehenryAug21thanks for your link PA Can seesomuch of my son reflected back at me Feel so bad at the moment not able to post I just wonder where it's all going to end with my son !
  • Hi berniehenry. You have a lot on your plate, I wish I had some answers for you. At some point things have to change don't they. Have there not been any developments with medication, therapy, change of habits? Feel free to bounce ideas of members here or just to offload.
  • Bernie Henry thanks PA for posting Just feel so low at the moment My son is refusing school and I have now come to the conclusion that he is just not able for the demands placed on him in any kind of unit I have got an assurance for funding for a 12 week residential assessment course But there is no place available for him. now the powers that be are talking about an outreach programme for him from the body who would have provided the 12 week in house assessment .I don't think this is going to work masking issues etc! ireland is no country for the neuro diverse !
  • I'm so sorry you are struggling. Some children just can't handle school and that's the truth. So your council should start looking for alternatives for him. Do you have home tuition through your councils in Ireland? Do you think he would have gone on the residential course anyway? I mean, if he can't handle attending school would it have been any easier for him? Do you have all the details of the outreach programme? I mean, is there a chance it might actually be better for him than you think? Sometimes our children can surprise us. Would the outreach be in your home or somewhere else and could you be present to intuit how he is handling it even if he's masking to the providing staff and be his buffer?

Ireland can make a place for the neurodiverse though, like many places, it's slow going and a hard battle but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
  • Just remember, no matter how your son behaves, no matter what hell you are going through, he does love you. You are his rock, his safe place. He was that little baby in your arms that looked into your eyes as you fed him.
  • Bernie Henry Thank you so much PA for replying The outreach programme programme is still very much in its gestation phase at the moment I'll keep you informed I hope with allmy heart it works out and maybe it will help my son Yes I still see him in that little crib in the hospital and I will fight for him no matter what !! thanks again for all your great posts you are one amazing lady
  • Holly59

berniehenry said:

Bernie Henry Thank you so much PA for replying The outreach programme programme is still very much in its gestation phase at the moment I'll keep you informed I hope with allmy heart it works out and maybe it will help my son Yes I still see him in that little crib in the hospital and I will fight for him no matter what !! thanks again for all your great posts you are one amazing lady

I am so sorry to hear you have been let down once more but fingers crossed the outreach programme will work. It's so frustrating and annoying both yourself and your son has suffered so much. If they chip away gently the results will come.Its not going to happen overnight but you are an amazing Mum so I am sure you will get the answers.
    Take care xxxxxxx
  • Well I think you are amazing berniehenry. I will keep my fingers crossed that the outreach will help him and let me know if you need me to find out any information for you about what's available that might help.
  • abbibh25
    This is a very insightful blog, and as a teenage sufferer of PDA, it means a lot when someone understands. Please feel free to check out my blog!
    https://teenagestressesblog.wordpress.com/
  • Bernie Henry abbibh25 Great blog and so positive shows what can be achieved with hands on caring parents and a supportive ed system Congratulations on your great resuls and may you continue to thrive and blossom You are an inspiration

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.