Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
A bit confused.
  • Pounce
    I don't want to appear stupid, but I am confused over my dd's dx. :oops:

I accept that she has PDA, there is no question of that, but on re-reading her dx and subsequent reports I find that she ".....has a form of Autism, known as PDA" but I have just read that you can be Autistic with PDA or just PDA.

I thought that PDA was an ASD, and therefore, she was just "plain" ASD, but I am getting the feeling that I might be wrong. :?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?
  • dirtmother
    It's not you that's stupid or confused, it's the situation.

Some people see PDA as an autistic spectrum disorder, others see it as a pervasive developmental disorder, with ASD being one type of PDD and PDA being another. All complicated by the reality that there will be some who don't clearly fit into just one box.

There are two aspects to this - one will be fitting diagnostic criteria, and for PDA the criteria remain a work in progress, and the other is what works, what helps.

A further strand is the politics of this and funding - whether you believe that PDA is an ASD or not, going along with the idea that it is an ASD is the only way to get support and funding in many areas. Of course, if the 'supporters' are hung up on the idea that you deal with it in the same (broad, since no individual is exactly the same) way as ASD, then it could be worse than useless, but where they are capable of seeing a distinction and using a different approach it can work.

I suspect many parents views are coloured by their own children - in my case my son simply does not fit the triad of impairments for ASD as he has a well functioning social imagination and is probably more empathic than other children of his age - plus he responds poorly to directness and routine. Of course, you can get demand avoidance with many disorders, just as many people display some behaviours characteristic of ASDs, without having PDA or an ASD and indeed it is a pretty normal stage in child development, so strategies that work for PDA may work in other situations (see The Explosive Child) but I guess it is a matter of what dominates the picture.
  • Pounce
    Thank you so much!

Her dx reads that she has PDA, which is a PDD, related to Autism! Are they covering all the bases there, do you think? :lol:
  • Garden
    Hello

My daughter has a diagnosis of PDA from a paediatrician, but all the other local professionals say that PDA is a 'contentious' diagnosis and they think she's just autistic spectrum, albeit with unusual behaviours.

I think you have to use whatever labels you are given to your advantage - whatever gets you DLA, into the school you want etc. That's all that the labels are good for. You yourself will know what strategies work with her at home - if the PDA type strategies work best, just go with it, even if someone is telling you she's ASD.

Regards, Garden
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions