Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Hair cuts/hair washing/teeth cleaning
  • Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or advice regarding helping my child to cope with hair cuts and hair washing, and also teeth cleaning? It's getting really out of control now, my daughter's hair is one big, hard mass of matted hair at the back, and she won't let me get near it to cut it. I'm going to be honest, I'm embarrassed to go to the hairdressers at this point! I have tried the usual negotiating, but nothing has worked so far. It's always been a problem - hair and teeth ! - but seems to be getting worse, if anything.

With regard to teeth cleaning, I have already tried devices that attach to toothbrushes to turn it into a game, but the moment I try to introduce such a thing, she gets angry and the avoidance behaviour kicks in.

The hair is the most pressing issue at the moment, because at least she will sometimes give her teeth a reasonable clean - but the hair situation is getting ridiculous.

Thanks

• Holly59

Soulsearcher said:

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or advice regarding helping my child to cope with hair cuts and hair washing, and also teeth cleaning? It's getting really out of control now, my daughter's hair is one big, hard mass of matted hair at the back, and she won't let me get near it to cut it. I'm going to be honest, I'm embarrassed to go to the hairdressers at this point! I have tried the usual negotiating, but nothing has worked so far. It's always been a problem - hair and teeth ! - but seems to be getting worse, if anything.

With regard to teeth cleaning, I have already tried devices that attach to toothbrushes to turn it into a game, but the moment I try to introduce such a thing, she gets angry and the avoidance behaviour kicks in.

The hair is the most pressing issue at the moment, because at least she will sometimes give her teeth a reasonable clean - but the hair situation is getting ridiculous.

Thanks

http://www.ellennotbohm.com/2014/01/take-the-cut-out-of-haircut-for-kids-with-autism/

If you google Autism haircut lots of links come up.

Have you tried those tangle free brushes ?

The youngest braved the Turkish Barbers recently . Absolutely Facinating. Lighted tapers . Entertainment value 10/10 . Proves how vain men are. Never seen such a fuss over a hot shave .

I have found going early is a better idea when there are very few customers . Quiet as possible .

Not recommended until much older .

Don't have any suggestions about brushing teeth. The youngest prefers electric toothbrush . I encourage the best I can. Youngest has had special covers over back teeth by dentist . Very good Dentist has been extremly willing to learn about PDA.

To some extent it was easier when they were younger, choosing fun toothbrushes. It's the toothpaste what was the issue. Taste, tingly , sensation.

Nothing is easy , you have my sympathies.

Pat xx
  • RhanHRhanH
    Hiya, we've had similar challenges. With regard to hair brushing we found that we have to apply pressure to the top of our daughter's head whilst we brush with a tangle teaser, being very careful not to touch her face or ears. Using a shampoo with good conditioner to ease the tangles has helped and she will only ever wear her hair in plaits as she knows this reduces knots. We found a good understanding hairdresser, who we now see every half term hol, to sort our original matted hair out and I'm sure because it wasn't me helping her she went along with it. It did take me an hour to get her there and I paid the price when we got home again, but it was worth it. When we get a problem now I'm afraid I resort to the iPad for distraction while I very carefully brush!

Teeth is an ongoing issue. We spent months finding a tooth paste, and longer finder a tooth brush. We encourage brushing twice a day but if we achieve one or part of one we're happy. We have more success when we say something like "it's up to you if you choose not to brush your teeth but the dentist will be surprised if you do brush". She likes to give surprises! Or "if you choose to brush your teeth maybe later you can choose a snack to eat". We're fortunate that we still have mainly milk teeth but we're conscious that if we don't keep going we'll have a problem later.

Hope this helps a little, but know that you are not alone!
  • Sparkles
    Have you heard of Collis Curve toothbrushes? They brush three sides of teeth at once so reduce brushing time. Here is a link. http://m.colliscurve.co.uk/m/1.asp#.WMqYyjzCaEc We use the clear cap one for our 8 year old. I wouldn't recommend the Junior one as it has a small handle more for a toddler. Hair brushing is a challenge with us too. We use a detangling spray and brush and only brush when hair is dry. I found that putting a towel around her shoulders helps so she doesn't feel the brush on her back. I've also found playing hairdressers with her dolls and letting her do my hair helps to increase the novelty of it.
  • RhanHRhanH
    No, I've not come across these brushes before, thanks for the tip Sparkles!!
  • Holly59
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40887208

Just thought I would post this news article . Reading the information posted one wonders if this young lady is on the Spectrum and it has not been recognised ?

Pat xx

• June67
    We had similar problems with teeth, he hated electric brush, too noisy and vigorous but copes well with dr barrowmans brush that does 3 sides at once, not the greatest clean but better than not brushing at all. Biggest problem was taste of toothpaste too strong for him. We ordered loads of different flavours and tried them all in a taste test game together, hated them all so then we tried cocktails to see if this helped as he had made loads with juices previously. Again we made it a game where we all tried them, eventually he found a combination he could cope with apple/mint and sainsburys fruity gel in small amounts. We overcame his reluctance to actually brush by distracting him, he chose whatever foul combination of the others we tried for my brush and watched my expressions with glee as he brushed with his own combo, gradually he needed me to brush with him less, it's still a battle but we've managed to remove most of his obstacles. He's much more likely to brush as part of a going to school morning routine than in the holidays. Good luck. Can't help much with hair he's a boy who hates the barbers.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.