Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Reality, or not? He's confused, so am I !
  • zbrooks
    Can't stop reading the post! Would stay all night if I didn't hav an impossible almost 3yr old (aswell as an energetic 20mth old) to deal with tomoro. Have'nt yet come across any mention of fear of make- believe characters. My son has become increasingly fearful of certain puppets and young childrens' characters from as young as possibly 8-10 months old. If they are obvious animals then he's fine, but really struggles to work-out certain characters he's terrified of, that his younger sister doesn't blink an eye-lid to.
    Please read my intro post earlier. More certain now that my son has PDA but scared my own diagnosis may influence a medical one. Is that possible? My instincts tell me he has PDA. Scared, don't know what to think. Please comment!
  • webbwebb
    Hi zbrooks

Have just replied to your other post but just want to say, if you are scared about telling the professionals that you think it might be PDA, then don't mention anything on your first appointment with any professional.
    However some months down the line if they are saying PDD or ASD you may like to suggest to them that you think it is PDA and then say why.

With regard to the make-believe characters - many children on the Autistic spectrum do not like people dressing up, clowns, face paints, large as life Mickey Mouse or The White Rabbit etc etc. To them these things do not make sense, my son could not go to school on red nose day or spicky hair day or non-uniform day; he couldn't cope with seeing people differently, he was so histerical we had to take him out the playground!
    Our children can suffer with high levels of anxiety so if they see something that just doesn't like right/normal it can freak them out.

Hope some of this helps

Paula
  • mango69
    Welcome to the forum zbrooks. It is a bit scary at first when you think you may have a diagnosis. My son actually doesn't seem to mind the character thing - he gets it that its someone dressed up although he prefers to imagine its real. One of the few things he did enjoy at Disneyland was watching the characters - especially Remy from Ratatoullie! The thing to remember is I guess that they are all different so that makes reading some of the posts less scary sometimes because your son may not do all the things that others do. But whatever you come through we are all here if things are difficult.
    Margo
  • Garden
    Hello

In our daughter's case it was the fear of characters that really cinched it for her in terms of diagnosis from the paediatrician. This paed was originally convinced that she was going to diagnose our daughter with ADHD (inattentive type) but she asked me to describe our daughter and I explained how she likes to role play all the time, throws terrible tantrums when things don't go quite as she likes, how she does next to no schoolwork and hates being asked to do anything - then the paediatrician asked me if she was scared of puppets, which really threw me, but I was able to tell her how much dd hated the characters at Disney and how we had had to hide in shops one day at our local shopping centre because there was a man dressed as a leprechaun. And she was eight at the time!

When we went to Disney the first time (she was 4 I think) she was okay with characters where you could see their face, like Mary Poppins, but she wouldnl't go near the cuddly characters. It's not as big a problem as you'd think at Disney as you can keep away from them fairly easily, but big sister liked the characters, so we had a bit of a job managing them both. Big sister had her picture taken with Mickey Mouse and even took part in the parade - no way would PDA daughter do anything like that.

We went back again two years ago at Halloween and she was better with the cuddly characters, but not the baddies. She was hysterical at the wicked witch - my husband had his picture taken with her and PDA daughter was crying as she seemed to really think that he was in danger. She also hated the Halloween Pumpkin Men, who played at being statues and then 'booed' people as they went past. Elder daughter and I thought it was hilarious to watch them, but PDA daughter just wept and we had to take her away.

So, yes, this does seem to be a big issue for my daughter and I'm sure there is info on this in the factsheet. It's really a case of recognising that it's scary for them and listening to their fears and not trying to make them be okay because everyone else thinks it's okay, which I'm sure is exactly what you're doing. The trouble is that people are sympathetic when the children are younger, but not quite so when they are eight. The leprechaun man couldn't understand why our daughter was scared and kept trying to explain to her - and she couldn't handle that at all.

Regards, Garden
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions