Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
How dare they threaten not to diagnose ASD? Typical neurotypical rationing of services that are not
  • June67
    Fuming about news reports saying some authorities are going to stop diagnosing all but the most severe asd cases, this is typical just because it's not a physical thing... Why don't they stop diagnosing sore throats, diabetes, cancer or dodgy hips instead...?. ( I'm not seriously suggesting this) Just fuming at the lack of understanding of the impact of this life long life limiting condition that impacts not just the individual who is undiagnosed but all of those around them, their families/carers, teachers, peers at school who will loose out because not help will be funded without a diagnosis and the teacher will spend much of their time trying to manage alone... More ridiculous cost cutting and less chance of our PDAers getting the help they need as we're already at the bottom of the ASD pile. Grrrrrr
  • Holly59

June67 said:

Fuming about news reports saying some authorities are going to stop diagnosing all but the most severe asd cases, this is typical just because it's not a physical thing... Why don't they stop diagnosing sore throats, diabetes, cancer or dodgy hips instead...?. ( I'm not seriously suggesting this) Just fuming at the lack of understanding of the impact of this life long life limiting condition that impacts not just the individual who is undiagnosed but all of those around them, their families/carers, teachers, peers at school who will loose out because not help will be funded without a diagnosis and the teacher will spend much of their time trying to manage alone... More ridiculous cost cutting and less chance of our PDAers getting the help they need as we're already at the bottom of the ASD pile. Grrrrrr

100% agree . Absolutely Disgusted . Bottom line is money , money , money . The long term cost to both Mental Heath , families , education and care I shudder to think because the recognition and diagnosis was not available at the start.

My two are a living example of this .

It's horrendous now never mind as the awareness grows and more cases uncovered .

Pat xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    It's ridiculous and has made a lot of people very angry. On FB I have posted a couple of clauses of the Health & Social Care Act 2012 (amendments to the 2008 Act) which I think, show that this would be unlawful anyway.

Erm, I also hate to state the obvious, but why do they think parents seek assessments in the first place! It's because their children are in difficulty, struggling and impacting the family as well. You cannot tell a family "sorry, doesn't meet our threshhold for referral".

The Government talks about early intervention, in fact the SEN Code of Practice 2014 (which is law) says:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398815/SEND_Code_of_Practice_January_2015.pdf

"Principles underpinning this Code of Practice

1.1 Section 19 of the Children and Families Act 2014 makes clear that local authorities,
    in carrying out their functions under the Act in relation to disabled children and young
    people and those with special educational needs (SEN), must have regard to:

the views, wishes and feelings of the child or young person, and the child’s
    parents

•the importance of the child or young person, and the child’s parents, participating as
    fully as possible in decisions
    , and being provided with the information and support necessary to enable participation in those decisions
    •the need to support the child or young person, and the child’s parents, in order to facilitate the development of the child or young person and to help them achieve the best possible educational and other outcomes, preparing them effectively for adulthood

1.2 These principles are designed to support:

•the early identification of children and young people’s needs and early intervention to support them"

So I don't think they will be able to get away with it personally.
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    Also from the SEN Code of Practice:

The legal framework

3.1 Section 25 of the Children and Families Act 2014 places a duty on local authorities that
    should ensure integration between educational provision and training provision, health and social care provision, where this would promote well being and improve the quality of provision for disabled young people and those with SEN.

3.4 Joint commissioning should be informed by a clear assessment of local needs.
    Health and Wellbeing Boards are required to develop Joint Strategic Needs Assessments and Joint Health and Wellbeing Strategies, to support prevention, identification, assessment and early intervention and a joined-up approach. Under section 75 of the National Health Service Act 2006, local authorities and CCGs can pool resources and delegate certain NHS and local authority health-related functions to the other partner(s) if it would lead to an improvement in the way those functions are exercised.

I think how they will try to wriggle out of it, is to claim there is no SEN or disability in the first place to avoid referring for assessment. This will hardest hit those high-functioning children who mask in school.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.