Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
I guess I'm more PDA than I thought
  • Lixina
    I'm 19 years old and diagnosed with PDD NOS.
    I've been calling myself 'partial PDA' or 'PDA-like' because the description of PDA has a lot in common with me, but some of it didn't seem much like me.
    However, recently my mother read the PDA description and she says I fit it very well. The two things in the criteria that didn't fit me at all - passivity and language delay - are apparently not universal. (I was passive after 18 months, but not in infancy.)
    I tried e-mailing Elizabeth Newson, but she said that she can't tell me over e-mail if I have PDA and her center can't evaluate me because I'm over 16 (not to mention across the ocean from them). So I don't have an official voice saying I have PDA. But if my mother says it fits, I guess that's enough for me.
    The reason I didn't think it fit completely: partly because I forgot stuff about when I was younger (and many features of PDA are partially outgrown), and partly because it's all written from the perspective of someone without PDA, looking at outward behavior and trying to interpret it rather than describing how it feels from the inside. There's always this struggle, when I read descriptions of autism spectrum conditions by non-autistics, to figure out the gap between internal experience and how non-autistics interpret our behavior.
  • webbwebb
    Hi

Pleased to hear your mum has read the criteria and also feels you have PDA. I realise in America this is the closest you will get to a formal diagnosis as the prof's only say PDD-NOS at the moment.
    What matters most, I feel, is that you understand yourself and that your parents understand you.

My own PDA son was never passive.
    He didn't speak till he was 5 because he has severe learning difficulties.
    We are all so different aren't we.

Paula
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions