Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Real or imaginary pain
  • aliveit
    Hello
    My son 8 , is constantly complaining of some pain or other.
    I've always thought its attention seeking, no swelling or bruising yet he insists on various creams, ice, bandages etc... often when he is supposed to be doing other things.
    However after reading some posts on here I'm wondering if he's got weak joints or something. He often woke up screaming in the night with growing pains.
    Does anyone else have a hyperchondriac in the family or should I take him to the doctor and look further?
    Thanks
    Alison
  • Holly59

aliveit said:

Hello
    My son 8 , is constantly complaining of some pain or other.
    I've always thought its attention seeking, no swelling or bruising yet he insists on various creams, ice, bandages etc... often when he is supposed to be doing other things.
    However after reading some posts on here I'm wondering if he's got weak joints or something. He often woke up screaming in the night with growing pains.
    Does anyone else have a hyperchondriac in the family or should I take him to the doctor and look further?
    Thanks
    Alison

Hi,
    Take him to the GP to get checked out . My youngest has just been diagnosed at 19 with Hypermobility which affects every joint . It has been missed for years by various Consultants .

Pat xx
  • Holly59
    http://hypermobility.org/

It is quite common in ASD . I have another friend whose ASD - PDA child has just been diagnosed with Hypermobility. Again was told it was growing pains .

Pat xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    We thought our youngest had growing pains as many nights she would cry and say her legs hurt. Later on she was diagnosed with hypermobility. People with ASD do often feel pain very keenly as well however, and anxiety can manifest as pains especially belly pains. Have you noticed whether he has lax joints anywhere? It can occur only in some joints and might not always be in obvious ones. E.g. it could be hips (can he touch the floor with palms and locked knees?), it could be fingers, can he reach up behind his back and touch the top of his back? Do his knees or elbows point slightly backwards? Can he bend his thumb down sideways to touch his arm? Does he have lordosis in his lower back? There are others.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.