Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Scottish Petition . Involves Child Protection . Please consider signing .
  • Holly59
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/849343/Child-protection-services-Scotland-inquiry

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01673

Anyone in the World can sign and comment on these Petitions . It would be especially helpful if PDA was mentioned .

Reading the horror stories on this Forum time and time please consider signing . Thank you .

This is another Petition . How very true . No one takes responsibility . Passed from pillar to post . Blatent wrongdoings get covered up and swept under the table .

http://www.parliament.scot/gettinginvolved/petitions/PE01600-PE01699/PE01659_BackgroundInfo.aspx
  • Holly59
    Comment from an amazing mum Barbara Irvine from Inverness . I have met up with Barbara and her children she has been at the forefront of speaking out to press about the lack of support she receives and the effect it has on her family and Daniel.

My child who was aged 7 was taken from me by SW due to his behaviour at this time he was undiagnosed ASD and PDA. He was placed in a residential unit some miles from home and I was told if I didn't put him back he got home once when he ran away or theybwoukd take my other 2 older children who have no issues from me. Chikdrens hearing they were going to place him out of area and I was actively seeking help from all agencies to help my child and my family get an assessment. Which at that point was being blamed on my parenting. We then had a CSO hanging over our heads for over a year and when we had it taken off of us the first severe meltdown he had the SW said damn we no longer have the CSO. I continually have my child being placed out of area hanging over me.
    Barbara Irvine
    12:48 on 05 Sep 2017

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1177049/autistic-boy-daniel-gourlay-school-mum-sue-inverness/

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetOughtism/

There have been a number of comments posted on PlanetAutisms FB page relating to the press article . All unanimous urgent change required .Sick of parental blame .

Pat xx
  • Holly59
    My comment has been posted.

I wholeheartedly agree with every aspect of the Petition . I am another parent with ASD - PDA children who the system has totally failed . It was myself a parent who recognised ASD issues where so many Professionals failed us . My children have been denied an Education and Childhood , not one of the Autism Stratagies in place has been effective . The Scottish Autism Strategy , GIRFEC , Education Laws , early intervention , not worth the paper they are written on . I was abandoned by my SW , she was very nice but totally clueless on Autism Spectrum . Because my eldest son could not engage with an Autism Charity we were told there was nothing further they could offer . My parentening skills were questioned , I was offered Parentening Classes . One child was handcuffed by Police after a meltdown . Yet after one meltdown the only people who would help were the Police and Ambulance Service . CAMHS didn't want to know , SW on call fobbed us of to GP following morning . Some of my PDA friends have had children removed or threatened by unprofessional SW or the Children's Panel . Parental blame is rife , we do an amazing job with so few resources . Hence as Main Petitioner the Petition PEO1625 evolved . We need to raise awareness of PDA and get the recognition and support to parents and their children . As I said in our Petition " The only system that works effectively in Scotland is the System to cover up the truth " . Named Person should be abandoned , it is unworkable . We need a system that works to keep families together and provide support we desperately require . One of my children , a very intelligent young man will spend his life on benefits , the other due to an inspirational team at Edinburgh College is now doing a HND Music course using PDA Stratagies , the first student to do so . I can't afford a QC to fight the system when people act totally unprofessional and are dishonest. Enough is enough .Parental blame must stop NOW
    Patricia Hewitt
  • Bravo Pat. =D>
  • Holly59

Bravo Pat. =D>

The response from this SW who is willing to give evidence to the Committee with her Collegues proves the system is failing so many . We need more like her to speak out .

Pat xx

I agree that there are serious grounds for concern about procedures as currently operating, and about the legal safeguards for children and parents within the current framework. I would like to give evidence to the Committee along with other social workers who I know share these views, and also evidence from parents about their experiences and those of their children.
    Maggie Mellon
    15:05 on 05 Sep 2017
    I am a qualified and registered social worker. I know that there is much good work which goes on which is appreciated by children and by parents, but I have become aware of serious lack of recognition of the rights of parents and of children and of lack of accountability for actions taken which damage children. Risk aversion permeates the system, but does not include recognition of the huge risks of removal without good evidence. Children may be removed from home on a 'temporary' basis and without grounds having been accepted or proved for many months. this is very much 'verdict first , trial afterwards' for the children and their parents. the use of risk of emotional abuse as a reason for the removal of children is increasing and is a very subjective and difficult judgement. The rate of removal of children in Scotland is higher than in any other country of the UK. We need to ask if the children's hearings are qualified to make the decisions that they do, and that there are insufficient legal safeguards. Therefore I support the need for an enquiry. I know that other social workers share my views, and would like to present evidence with them and also from parents about their experiences to the Committee
    Maggie Mellon
    15:03 on 05 Sep 2017
  • Hear, hear. Good to hear a SW speaking out, heard of her before.
  • Holly59

Hear, hear. Good to hear a SW speaking out, heard of her before.

'verdict first , trial afterwards.

Sums it up perfectly .Absolutly tragic outcome for so many families .

Pat xx
  • Holly59

Beth Morrison was brilliant too.

I think this is a worthwhile petition and cause Child Protection in Scotland appears to focus on the family as if there is no other form of child abuse happening outwith the family home. We have GIRFEC and The SHANARRI well being wheel which measures outcomes. We also have The Named Person and the sole focus is on what is going on within families. However if there is an allegation against a professional whether that is about an incident happening in a school or any other council or government operated service, there is rarely ever any accountability. Child abuse is Child abuse, no matter where it happens or who is the alleged perpetrator. If an IRD is held and a family member is the accused then the family have no representation. Instead, it is health, education, social work and Police who meet and make all the decisions, the family are locked out. You try and accuse a teacher for example, of abusing your child you are still locked out of the IRD process often without any statements from the family being taken by Police or Social Services. Yet Education will still be represented and things just don't seem to go any further. Why is that? its all wrong. Abuse doesn't always happen in the family home.
    Beth Morrison

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tayside-mum-hits-holyrood-response-petition-disabled-children-school/

http://www.parliament.scot/gettinginvolved/petitions/PE01548

Pat xx
  • Holly59

http://www.scottishreview.net/MaggieMellon205a.html

https://maggiemellon.com/

Learn something new every day !

Probably from named person . Another ludicrous idea .

:(( :(( :(( :-t :-t :-t X_X X_X X_X :-q :-q :-q

Pat xx
  • Oh how we need someone like her in England, NI and Wales.
  • Comments haven't increased from 10 since yesterday...wonder why they are cherry-picking which ones they will publish.
  • Holly59

Comments haven't increased from 10 since yesterday...wonder why they are cherry-picking which ones they will publish.

I have had one of mine knocked back before . Personally I didn't think l spoke out of term . There are guidelines as to what's acceptable .

If they have a number of comments it does take a wee while to go through the scrutiny team . Shall we say I was surprised mine was published .The comment about The only thing that works effectively in Scotland is the system to cover up the Truth . That's toned down for me .

Pat xx

• Holly59

Comments haven't increased from 10 since yesterday...wonder why they are cherry-picking which ones they will publish.

Have a look , you will be pleasntly surprised =D>

Some great responses. Especially on the ASD-PDA front .

Pat xx
  • Holly59
    PDA_ASD_Parent .

The Petition has been lodged . =D> (*) :!:

All the responses agree the " System is a failure "

Pat xx
  • ^:)^
  • Holly59

^:)^

There were a number from PDA parents whose posts I recognised . Every opportunity to expand on how traumatic life can be .

Pat xx

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.