Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
Reporter requiring experiences of restraint or isolation in SEN within East Surrey and Croydon .
  • Holly59
    2 hrs ·
    We've been contacted by a reporter from the Croydon Advertiser and Surrey Mirror who is interested in hearing from parents with experience relating to the use of restraints or isolation with SEN children in the Croydon and East Surrey area. Please contact Suzanne on suzannekelly.writes@gmail.com if you would like to share your experiences. We understand that parents' details can remain confidential.

This is posted on the PDA Society FB Page .

This reporter is following with interest the Scottish Petitions going through Parliament at present .PDA, Restraint and child protection .

Pat xx
  • B-)
  • Holly59
    https://www.facebook.com/NationalAutisticSociety/

Julie Forsyth Rosalind Cox You clearly do not understand the situation, there are children here in East Sussex not been to school for periods between 1 and 3 years there are speicalists placements that can meet the needs the council will not place. Meanwhile our children ARE totally discrimnated against as a chlld without additional needs would have a parental choice to attend whichever school they want to attend, we have no choice, my family is falling apart, my daughters mental health is declining being isolated now for nearly 2 years and every day asks can she go to school. The NAS is the biggest name behing autism in this country and yet they do absolutely nothing at all to support this nightmare that not just I am living many parents are living. This was an interveiw on BBC Sussex this week see how many parents called in with the same problem. In 2017 it is a disgusting situation and this charity has the power to discuss th problem with the government and it is not doing anything. What good is an autism hour to those who have had their mental health severly impaired by being isolated because of their autism? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05gppzp

09/10/2017, Danny Pike - BBC Local Radio
    Living local and loving local is what…
    BBC.CO.UK
    LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 9 hrs
    Manage
    Julie Forsyth
    Julie Forsyth Dianne Jones East Sussex county council continue to break the law I have been to tribunal and they have stood in tribunal and lied as have many other parents. There is no one to hold them account of their actions. No one cares.
  • PDA_ASD_Parent

"Completely understand problems with neighbours. No matter how many times I apologised for my child's very loud behaviour and explained about autism they would still make complaints. I found out they were trying to build a case of anti social behaviour against me and had taken photos of my child in a distressed state. I phoned police who then went to them, made them delete photo and told them it was never a case of anti social behaviour. I now have a solicitor who is attempting to get an interdict against them to cease their behaviour."

Someone posted on the NAS FB page below their Big Survey post.
  • Holly59

"Completely understand problems with neighbours. No matter how many times I apologised for my child's very loud behaviour and explained about autism they would still make complaints. I found out they were trying to build a case of anti social behaviour against me and had taken photos of my child in a distressed state. I phoned police who then went to them, made them delete photo and told them it was never a case of anti social behaviour. I now have a solicitor who is attempting to get an interdict against them to cease their behaviour."

Someone posted on the NAS FB page below their Big Survey post.

Did you read this further down .

Nicola Leigh-Lancaster
    Nicola Leigh-Lancaster I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience I feel there is very little support as they get older I know some people Will disagree with me I know some people's experiences can be positive I must admit mine wasn't to be forced out of your home after 10 years because the new neighbours harrassed us and when I phoned up The National Autistic Society all I got was a load of numbers

How true . How many of us thought once a diagnosis came we would get support . We still don't have a correct diagnosis . One day perhaps .

To be honest overall I have some very special neighbours thank goodness . It's the total lack of understanding of ASD -PDA .

Pat xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    It's true all the NAS do is signpost (stuff which you can Google yourself). They literally do nothing practical or physical to help. And this I just read on their FB page really galled me:

"National Autistic Society Hi Fiona,
    Thank you for your response, we always appreciate it when our supporters take the trouble to feedback to us.

We would like to make it clear that we had no involvement in asking Danielle Lloyd on ITV This Morning. The programme makers decide on guests. However, as a charity, we have a responsibility to support those who are at the beginning of their diagnosis journey. We also wanted to take the opportunity of the piece on This Morning to educate the public further about autism.

Have you tried contacting our Education Rights services as they may be able to provide you advice in relation to school placements?

We work closely with autistic people and their families on numerous campaigns and initiatives. It was only a couple of days ago that we featured on BBC Breakfast with the Tang family, whose eight year old son has autism. You can watch the video here: https://www.facebook.com/bbcbreakfast/videos/1873394312674698/?hc_ref=ARQIyxO9_gXe9ZeYItRhzOd7Kw4WzESlzjTF92b85jKR99IBL7Wma9dLAZSQx7siNrs
    Across the UK, 4,500 shops are preparing to be quieter, darker and calmer than usual for at least an hour this week. It is all part of the National Autistic Society's first #AutismHour!

We know how important it is for the public to understand autism, which is why we respond positively to invitations from TV companies to get involved with interviews like this one, as they reach millions of people.

If you have any further questions, please email: socialmedia@nas.org.uk
    Thanks,
    Will"

Because when youngest was on the waiting list for assessment and her behaviour was horrendous I rang the NAS for help and they told me they couldn't help me because she was undiagnosed!!

As for their comment about "We work closely with autistic people and their families on numerous campaigns and initiatives" yes they will happily put their name and logo onto anything to do with autism that others have done all the legwork for and they've had nothing to do with either financially or in a practical sense. I found that out through personal experience too. It's free PR for them.
  • Holly59
    I have had different experiences with the NAS . Like you found their support over the landline poor or non existent .

When I initially rang about my complaint got the normal " Have you tried your MSP " .

I wouldn't have survived without this Forum . It's been a lifesaver . (*)

Positive is that the NAS have recognised ASD-PDA as being on the Spectrum . There is a but coming ......... They definatly have to push harder to get the awareness out there . Fingers crossed for the Conference tomorrow .

PDA Society @PDASociety
    Looking forward to the @Autism PDA conference tomorrow! Great speakers & we'll have a stall. Look out for live tweets with hashtag #pdaconf.
    12:51 pm · 11 Oct 2017

Pat xx

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.