Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Medication
  • Hi everyone

I am new to the PDA Contact Group and whilst my son does not have a diagnosis of PDA displays many of the behaviours. We are having a multi-disciplinary meeting next Friday, 11th July, and one of the discussions will be about medication.

I wonder if those of you whose children have been, or are, on medication could share their experiences?

Naturally we are worried about the implications of our child taking medication but also worry what will happen if he doesn't!

Thanks

Deborah
  • Lixina
    Hi, I have PDA and the only psychiatric medication I was ever put on is St John's Wort (an herbal antidepressant). I was put on it when my parents decided to start homeschooling me, because due to bullying and conflict with teachers I was very depressed and anxious. I took it for awhile, then tapered off. I think it helped, though being homeschooled helped even more. When I stopped it there were no ill effects and I didn't feel depressed anymore because I was no longer in school.
    My teachers wanted me to take Ritalin, but no psychiatrist agreed with them and my parents didn't want me on that anyway. I have serious anxiety problems, and stimulants can worsen anxiety, so it's probably a good thing I didn't take Ritalin.
    There is no medication that can treat PDA itself. Some meds may treat associated problems or make it easier to treat PDA, however. My guess is probably the most helpful meds would usually be antidepressant/antianxiety medications, because a lot of PDA behavior problems are caused by anxiety. But if you can treat it with no meds, that's better, because then you aren't risking side effects and the kid knows it's not a pill making them behave well but their own hard work instead.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions