Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Is everyone using the webinars?
  • I'm not seeing much (any) discussion of the webinars on this forum. Always a puzzle about where discussion happens these days - I am assuming that a lot of former participants here use Facebook instead.

But if they have passed anyone by, I do very strongly recommend them. We had a relatively early identification of PDA and I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time at this stage, especially given our good fortune with schools. But they have been. Plus something was mentioned in the most recent one on sensory processing disorder about potentially using them with other family members to help them understand better.
  • Holly59

dirtmother said:

I'm not seeing much (any) discussion of the webinars on this forum. Always a puzzle about where discussion happens these days - I am assuming that a lot of former participants here use Facebook instead.

But if they have passed anyone by, I do very strongly recommend them. We had a relatively early identification of PDA and I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time at this stage, especially given our good fortune with schools. But they have been. Plus something was mentioned in the most recent one on sensory processing disorder about potentially using them with other family members to help them understand better.

I emphasise to everyone to watch them on all my posts to folks looking for information . They are excellent . I often think this type of explanation , plus the case histories give people who do not understand the ASD-PDA issues a far better understanding . Some of the initial reading in books it's for those who have a better understanding of ASD-PDA . Some of the information I have read has been totally confusing .

I found the speech and language Webinar fascinating .

The other issue is that not everyone can afford to go on a training course , I was lucky enough to attend the Glasgow PDA one last year . The other issue is often lack of support at home so people can't attend .

Books like the " Reason I Jump " explains the ASD beautifully . All the books recommended by the PDA Society are excellent .

Isn't it brilliant that the Webinars can be shared around the World to get the awareness out there . The requests for new PDA support groups on the FB page is amazing .

Hope there are lots more shares of Phil Christies and Ruth Fidlers Education Webinar coming up in November .

Every teacher should be watching this .

Thank you to all those who have contributed to the Webinars .

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources/webinars

Pat xx

• Yes, so much in the ASD industry is shockingly expensive and excluding (maybe due to roots in the medical professional world cf grassroots???? I don't know)

I'm a fast reader so I love books (quite aside from being quoted in the first one on PDA) but the webinars improve access for those who don't find reading so easy or appealing... and it's not so much of a problem if someone looses a link you sent them cf your precious books!

But it would be nice to see more actual discussion on this forum of the content cf signposting (even though signposting is important) Not everyone has a Facebook account.
  • Pat does a great job on recommending them frequently. The forum as a rule is very, very quiet and seems to consist of occasional new posters asking about possibility of PDA and one or two of us die-hards keeping it from dying completely, so it doesn't surprise me there is no discussion of the webinars. That doesn't mean people aren't watching them or finding them useful however. I haven't watched them personally, I suspect many parents are simply firefighting through their days and it's a struggle to focus and find the time (I know that's the case for me).
  • I've been here since 2006.

I find the facility to add the event to my calendar has been really useful, and makes me prioritise them although I have only just been able to watch the most recent one (and not all in one go). Given me a useful non-obvious tip that might mean we can put one particular troublesome fire out, so worth my while.
  • I've had email reminders for things before and still not managed to schedule stuff in! I either forget to check my email or am otherwise tied up. 8-}
  • RhanHRhanH
    How coincidental, I only e-mailed the Trustees yesterday and said thank you for the last three webinars that I hadn't been able to listen to earlier due to the summer chaos!

I think both the recent SALT and SPD webinars in particular were fantastic. I thought I understood a fair amount before I sat down but I learnt so much more! I've always fought for the increased recognition of these areas in my daughter's EHCP with more detail, as I've always believed they play a key role in her PDA and now I know I was right!

One of the Trustees made the comment to me that "I really feel that those two webinars tapped into a underplayed aspect of PDA, but areas that also have huge a impact for our children." I couldn't agree more!

I'm not a social media girl so the forum is still my life-line too, some of the old posts are so interesting. But I agree it is fairly quiet here at the moment, although lovely to chat with regular friends!

Is there anything in particular apart from new information signposting that would be helpful?
  • I find I come away from them with a renewed awe for how very brave my son is.

At home we are discussing whether to try the suggestion of physical activity immediately before settling to sleep.
  • RhanHRhanH
    Funnily enough we're revisiting this too. It's something we used to do with some homemade long sausage shape cushions, but after a while our daughter wanted a change. Sleep has become an issue again for us so we might reintroduce this and see if it helps! :-)

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.