Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
When you log into the new forum for the first time, you may wish to select 'Mark All Viewed' from the blue bar above to stop all messages showing as 'new'
SNP Mental Health Forum . Twenty 14 to 22 year olds will discuss their experiences . Cost £95,000.
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    Imagine what that money could have paid for.
  • Holly59

Imagine what that money could have paid for.

Training Staff on ASD-PDA .

A couple of hours Respite for a few parents

Additional Needs Assistants to help PDAers .

Support for One Stop Shops

The list is endless .

Maureen Watt should listen to our submission to Parliament . That’s free . Never saw her at the Scottish Autism Stratagy Consultation Meeting in Edinburgh the other week . There were a number of young Autistic People there .

Maureen Watt we are past talking , we need action and NOW .

Pat.xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    =D>
  • Holly59

=D>

Have you listened to Mark Leven NAS post on the PDA Society FB page about Education in England for Autistic Children ? This is why the majority of Mental health issues are preventable , poor education results in poor mental health , it’s not exactly rocket science .

Pat xx
  • PDA_ASD_Parent
    Not heard that. Yes, poor education and poor educational settings in many cases (inclusion frequently not working well for autistics). The very thing my two have had issues with in the curriculum was commented on in an article by a HT (https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/oct/27/why-are-so-many-sen-pupils-excluded-from-school-because-we-are-failing-them) the one-size-fits-all curriculum and way of learning simply doesn't work. Not to mention lack of support and poor autism awareness contributes to situations like I am dealing with, children who reject their diagnoses because they don't want to be seen as different.

"Included in what?

The second conclusion, that there are many children in mainstream schools who are wrongly placed and should be educated in special schools instead, is central to the perennial inclusion debate. Whenever I hear the word inclusion, I think: “Included in what?”

The ideal for inclusion is that all children should be taught well in their local mainstream school and have their associated needs met. It is their basic right, so the argument goes, and anything different is to deny them at least some part of their entitlement.

But I always ask: how are they being included? What are you trying to teach them? Are they being taught in the way that they learn best? Is this appropriate for their stage of development whilst being age-appropriate?"

We need to be asking what they really mean by inclusion. An excuse to close expensive special schools and force round pegs into square holes, at the expense of the childrne's wellbeing and needs being met is about right. All done under the pretext of equal rights and being treated the same, but the trouble is there are many areas in which they simply can't be treated the same as it's all wrong for them. So it's not actually inclusion at all.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.