Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
OLDER PDA CHILDREN
  • norfolk
    Does anybody have any information,advice, or guidance for a teenager with PDA approaching adult life. Our son is 15 & we have home educated for the last 4 years, but at this stage it seems unlikely that he will be able to lead an independent life or hold down a job. I know the outlook report by E. Newson paints quite a bleak picture, but would welcome comments from anyone with first hand experience of this !!
  • mazhawes
    Hi there, can't offer you any advice I'm afraid, but wish you the best of luck. We're at the other end of the education treadmill, and after trying and failing with 2 schools have decided to withdraw Oliver (7) from the education system and are attempting home- ed. Any advice on how to educationally engage and excite a non compliant but extremely bright child? Have accessed all the obvious EO stuff but most of it is geared towards children who are keen to learn. I'd love to hear from you how you have managed, and from anyone else who has attempted home education.
    What was the report you referred to by Elizabeth Newson?
  • norfolk

mazhawes said:

Hi there, can't offer you any advice I'm afraid, but wish you the best of luck. We're at the other end of the education treadmill, and after trying and failing with 2 schools have decided to withdraw Oliver (7) from the education system and are attempting home- ed. Any advice on how to educationally engage and excite a non compliant but extremely bright child? Have accessed all the obvious EO stuff but most of it is geared towards children who are keen to learn. I'd love to hear from you how you have managed, and from anyone else who has attempted home education.
    What was the report you referred to by Elizabeth Newson?

Hi thanks for your message. The report by E.Newson was 'Pathological demand avoidance syndrome: What is the outlook?' from the Durham conference 1999. I bought it from The early years centre @ Nottingham - they have a good publications list.
    As regards home education, it is a case of being very flexible and inventive! I found Science was a good way in on many occasions - especially experiments -there are loads that can be done at home from errupting volcanoes to testing ph levels. There is lots of info on the net about this. I also found very practical tasks were, and still are, very effective. Gardening, cooking DIY etc. - good for self esteem too! Computer software is also a good way in. Mine liked it because he feels 'in control' of his learning - some of the graphics are very captivating & motivating too. Do use EO as well. This has been light at the end of a tunnel sometimes for us - preparing and planning the trip and of course being flexible here too- if a 2 hour session is too long , then just cut it short and get the best for your child, a packed lunch of goodies is always something to look forward to, even if the rest is a disaster!! I do feel very strongly about offering as much variety as possible. I hope this hs helped a bit. I know it seems daunting, but it can be very rewarding and remember 10 minutes of quality learning is worth far more than 6 hours in school of nothing but frustration and standing outside the heads door! I wish I had taken mine out sooner !!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions