Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Wolverhampton City Council Statement PDA . 2016
  • Holly59
    You Said - Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)

Submitted: 20/04/2015 - As a parent of two boys with possible Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) and living in a Borough that doesn't recognise this condition, I have faced a hard battle and have to make some tough choices for my eldest son that I feel could have been avoided if the condition had recognition.
    I'd like also to point out that PDA is now recognised as part of autism and hope we can raise awareness of this condition in Wolverhampton. Getting the professionals on board to see that this condition is real and to see the devastating affect it has on families including my own and most importantly the affect it has on the child.

I hope for the future to be more positive.

Our response...08/01/2016
    Response to Local Offer comments: Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA):
    We are sorry this was your experience and I would like to reassure you that there is no policy in Wolverhampton of not recognising PDA.

Pathological demand avoidance (PDA) syndrome is not a distinct disorder that is recognised by national or international classifications systems. PDA refers to a cluster of behaviours or features which are believed to be part of the autism spectrum. As a possible autism spectrum condition, the route for assessment and diagnosis of PDA should involve referral to the Wolverhampton multi-agency ASD panel. This referral can be made via CAMHS, Paediatricians or Educational Psychologists.

With any psychological difference or condition, the aims of assessment and intervention should be to tailor support to an individual child or young person's needs, rather than to a specific diagnostic label.

I was sent this statement by a PDA friend . It’s on the Wolverhampton City Council Website .

Pat xx
  • webbwebb
    We are hoping that more Counties will produce a 'Position Statement' on PDA in the near future. Whilst some will be a little vague, it will be a positive step forward :)

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.