Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Sanctions in mainstream primary school
  • Sarasoo
    I am a TA supporting an undiagnosed 6 year old girl. Assessment has been initiated.
    She is in year 1 in mainstream school and her day looks very different from the rest of the class.....time out etc.
    What are the thoughts around sanctions?
    Example: anger and throwing items especially her shoes. These hit another child. Other children in the class have their name moved down the traffic light scale (green is good, down to amber, then orange and then red which results in visit to the head).
    How do we make sure the other children know she is told off as they would be for hitting etc without moving her name which causes further risk of meltdown.
    Thanks
  • Rubytuesday
    Hi, I’m a primary school teacher and also have a daughter with ASD/PDA. I would think that a traffic light type system would cause a lot of anxiety for a child with PDA. I taught a child with attachment disorder a couple of years ago and we removed her name from our behaviour system. We had a circle time with the other children to talk about this and explained why (she was having trouble controlling her behaviour and emotions and we were going to help her in a different way). The children were very understanding and mature about it. In terms of sanctions very little works with my PDA daughter but I would suggest trying more natural consequences eg if she throws and breaks one of her own things she no longer has it to use, or maybe if she hurts another child once she’s calm she could draw them a picture? It’s really hard though, especially if other children are getting hurt or upset. There are lots of good ideas on this website in the resources section. Good luck.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.