Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

If you have previously used our old forum, please spend some time exploring the new forum. All the discussions have been copied over from the old forum. If you need any help please contact us using the link in the grey bar at the top of the page. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions' post, which can be found in the 'announcements' area of the forum. Thank you.
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
18 with PDA, I'm stuck in life and need help!!
  • Kolbias
    Hi!! This is my first time posting on this site! My name's Colby, I'm 18 and I have PDA, and I am stuck. My parents are not very involved in my life, and are very independent/busy... They're more like roommates than parents to me, and I have no real support. I've realized that I'm falling behind as my old friends are all moving on with their lives going to university and such. I'm staying another year in high school to get my 6 remaining credits (going into grade 13) but school is near impossible for me. I would consider my intelligence genius level but I do not fit in with society at all. I don't have a job, my licence, probably won't graduate high school for a bit, I have depression, and no one in my life at all but myself. I'm not going anywhere with my life at this rate, and I don't know what to do to get out of this mess... ANY SUGGESTIONS?
  • SGCmum
    Hi Colby. It sounds like life is really tough for you right now. I can only offer insight from the perspective of a mother of an 18 year old with possible PDA. You say your parents aren't supportive. I wasn't able to give my daughter the support she needed as I didn't know what her needs were. I have more of an idea now. Do your parents know what you would find helpful? Do you have a diagnosis, or suspect you have PDA? Perhaps your parents need more information, from you, or from the PDA website.
    You seem very low in mood. If you are just feeling like you don't know where you are going in life, I would say 18 is still very young. My own daughter has no idea of what she wants to do, having just left school. I think it will take some time for her to work it out. If your depression is severe, you may need to see a doctor.
  • RhanHRhanH
    Hi Colby, welcome to the Forum and thank you for feeling able to share about your situation.

I appreciate it can be difficult talking to our parents, especially when they seem busy, but I wonder if they were told you’d like more help whether they’d be able to support you more; could you find a way of chatting to them? Sometimes as parents we think we know what our children want but actually need a nudge when we’re not quite getting it right. We have lots of information on our site explaining about PDA that you may find helpful to share with your parents, in particular our ‘pathway to support’. This section also shares details of Facebook support groups and blogs written by adults with PDA that you may find useful personally. https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/adult-life/pathway-to-support

Does your High School offer a support network, maybe a counsellor that you could approach? They may be able to help you look at areas where you have expressed concerns, ie social situations, finishing school etc, or suggest other local professionals who you could approach.

You also mention that you have depression and I would really encourage you to talk to a professional about this if you haven’t already. Again your school counsellor may be able to help or your local GP.

Please do keep posting and hopefully others may also be able to reply to you from their personal experience.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.