Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
The changes to our Forum are now complete, thank you for your patience. Please remember that posts in the Public Forums are visible to all internet users. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Computer gaming
  • katieK
    Trying to regulate the time spent on computer games has become the bane of my life. The more my son plays the more monstrous he seems to become. Trying to get him to come to a stop is always horrid. I use timers but he still carries on and I dread it every day. I worry that spending hours in virtual conflict must affect him and it does seem to make him more obstreperous. I wish I'd never let the games machines into my house but I did under duress from my family. Now, I wonder if I can get rid of them without becoming the evil monster. I know he's nicer when he's been away from them, a lot calmer, but he will hate me if I take them all away? The Xbox controller has already gone- that's contentious enough. I'm not sure whether to be brave and just go cold turkey or keep hitting my head against the same brick wall. Which is the lesser of the two evils?
  • RhanHRhanH
    Hi I’m not sure that I have the answer, however we share a similar problem and I find the easiest way to extract our daughter is to enter her world first..... so, we agree how long she can play for and what she may like to do after. Then we give a warning that there’s 10 min to go, then 5, at about 3 mins we try to sit with her and gently ask about what she’s doing, then I ask her to show me and then I start asking about what she’s going to do next based on what she said before she started... these questions are gently drawing her back into the real world but at the same time building a relationship as I’m showing interest in something that I don’t personally enjoy but need to understand!

It seems to work for us at the moment!

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.