Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Community Champions Funding
  • Amanda
    Just thought I'd mention that I have now been given a grant for £2000 from The Community Champions fund to offer training on PDA. This is a subject I have a passion for, especially when it comes to helping parents manage PDA. I've already run my first 4 hour training session for parents and will now be taking a two day training course to improve my presentation skills and will be offering the course on a more regular basis. What has been good is that I have already been approached by a social services dept for training , I've already been into two schools and have another booked in for the middle of January.

I'm really pleased that I was able to ask for a grant to provide PDA training and was accepted, hopefully this mean people aretaking more of an interest in PDA at last!
  • Congratulations and well done!
    I hope the rest of your training is interesting and that you enjoy the work afterwards (and its great that you are doing this to help others who may be involved with PDA kids now or at some point in the future ) :) =D>
  • webbwebb
    WOW Amanda, that's amazing!!!

I didn't realise you had secured some funding to do PDA training, that's fantastic!
    You have helped me so much to understand my son and I know that the PDA training in Nottingham that you ran helped so many other parents too.

I know that you have been into some schools and going to a branch of Social Services but what next?
    Will you deliver the training to whoever asks you? And will you go further a field? Will there be a charge for the training?

Just thinking, would you deliver the training to other PDA support groups?

I wish you every success with the 2 day training course you are going on to improve your skills, you go get them girl!!!!!!

Paula
  • Amanda
    Yes Paula I will be looking to take the training further afield and as long as I can cover expenses and make sure I am not costing The Maze to do this then I will happily offer it as far afield as I am asked. We all know the need is there and once a year in Nottingham is nowhere near enough, and I think living with PDA as I have for so long my training is different to other training I have seen offered in the past.
  • Amanda
    And of course with Margos book on the way hopefully people will start to sit up and take notice.
  • mango69
    That's fantastic Amanda. Well done. The word will spread. Happy New Year. xxxx
  • webbwebb
    Hi Mango

How is the book coming along? Is there a possibility of it being finished in 2008? Sorry I don't mean to rush you but interested in how it's coming along.

Happy New Year to you!
    Paula
  • mango69
    Hoping it will be finished by the summer but it has recently gone on the back burner with xmas etc - will be re-starting again very soon, its about 3/4 done. The trouble is I only have 1 day a fortnight when I have no kids so that I can write and invariably I end up doing lots of other things on that day too! I'll get there!
  • Hope
    This is very good news I'm hearing. Well done Amanda, I hope to hear you sometime if you do some training in the Manchester area. I am hoping to set up a consulting room soon where I can see children and families privately. I shall be funding it myself from my work as a child psychologist in court proceedings. I do hope I can be of help to families with children who have PDA and /or ASD because I have taken an interest in these problems over a number of years. I'm hoping to get more training myself so that I can properly diagnose it. My aim is to make consultation, advice and therapy affordable for families according to peoples' earnings rather than charging high fees.
    What do contributors think about that?
    Hope
  • Congratulations and well done Amanda on securing your grant. Being approached by social services is very good too, the more awareness the better!! (fancy coming and educating ours in my area?!!!). I too would be really interested in coming if you're ever near the south coast.

:D
  • jojes
    welldone amanda,a talk in norwich for teachers/support workers would be wonderfull as a fair few children diagnossed with PDA around norfolk.I know money is always an issue, is their any chance of a write up covering same sort of ideas?? welldone anyway special person. from joannex
  • jojes
    PS! cant wait for your book to come out m. from joanne.x
  • Congratulations and well done Amanda! :D

I think what u do is amazing and boy do we need it! wish i had the strength for it because i can see so many of our children being failed and PDA going unrecognized or shall i say 'not being accepted as a conditon in its own right :(

Even my solicitor says they need to buckle up and recognize it, they have already fought a case for a child (they won!) with PDA when my LA did not want to recognize it.

Good luck with it all :)
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions