Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Conference
  • Amanda
    The Maze is hosting a PDA conference in April.

It will take place in Nottingham I am sorting out the venue and will add details as soon as I have them.

The morning session will be led by myself with information about what PDA is and what it means for us as parents and some of my own experiences and then in the afternoon we are hoping that Fiona Spiers who was a Teacher at The Rose Hill special school and is now a consultant will be talking about strategies for schools to manage PDA and trust me she is amazing.

I will update as soon as I have more details. The course will be aimed at service providers but of course if parents want to come along then they will be welcome.
  • mango69
    This is fantastic Amanda. It sounds like you are really getting things off the ground in Nottingham. Well done!
    Margo
    x
  • Amanda
    Ok I promised you all the details as soon as I had them.

The Conference will take place on Tuesday 15th April at the Richard Herrod Leisure Centre in Carlton Nottingham.
    From 9.30am to 3.30 pm

The morning session will be led by me and will be an introduction to PDA, what it is and more importantly where the behaviours stem from. I will also be using some of my own experiences during this section of the day.

The afternoon session will be led by Fiona Speirs

Fiona Speirs is former Assistant Headteacher at Rosehill School in Nottingham, a school that caters for pupils on the autistic spectrum. She now works on a part time basis at the school having decided to focus on training and consultancy work as there has been an increased demand for her to do this over recent years. Fiona has extensive ‘hands on’ experience of working with young people with learning difficulties and ASD in particular, having graduated in 1985 with a B.Ed 2(i) Honours degree in Special Education (formerly known as ‘Mental Handicap’).
    Fiona has experience of speaking at conferences and delivering training for a variety of agencies regarding a variety of areas relating to the teaching and support of learners with ASD. She has many years experience of working with young people who present as having specific difficulties associated with the diagnosis of PDA and is often asked to train around these issues.

The afternoon session with Fiona will concentrate on stratagies for children with PDA and PDA traits especially in a school environment.

The Cost of the course will be £100 for professionals and £50 for parents.

A hot buffet lunch will be provided as well as refreshments and during lunch we will be seating a parent of a PDA child at each table to give service providers the opportunity to ask questions in a relaxed environment.

If you are interested in this conference and want more info then PM me or contact The Maze at
    admin@themazegroup.org

Mandyx
  • Amanda
    We now have the fliers and the booking forms for this event. Please let me know if you want me to e mail them to any of your areas and perhaps pass on e mail details.

The flier is available on The Maze website

www.themazegroup.org
    in the Training services section

Mandyx
  • webbwebb
    Thanks Mandy

I have printed some off!

You know I'll be there and help you any way I can!!!

Really looking forward to it. I hope to have some good conversations with "workers".

Paula
  • Amanda
    We have extended the conference and have made it bigger so we now have more places to offer, once again it's more parents than proffessionals
  • mango69
    Amanda - I posted you the cheque today - I am really looking forward to it - Really enjoy meeting up with people from the forum and it sounds like a well planned day
    Margo
  • Amanda
    Well we have 35 signed up for the conference, more parents than professionals of course.

See everyone on Tuesday. I am really looking forward to meeting some of you.

Mandy
  • Asking at late notice but hope I can attend too!
  • Amanda
    Just sent you the details. :D

What I am going to do is place some stickers at the sign in desk next to the badges with your name on. It might be nice if those if us that talk on here put our online names on them and wear them so that we are easily identified to each other. I know at the last conference we went to there were people in the room from the forum and none of us knew, lets take advantage of this opportunity to get together

Mandx
  • Thanks, have just sent you reply. Putting forum names on badges will be a good idea! Its nice to put faces to names.Am looking forward to attending
    :D
  • webbwebb
    Hi Everyone

I was volunteering at the Maze last week and just wanted to let all of you who are coming to the MAZE - PDA CONFERENCE this Tues know that,
    I've been to the venue - it's lovely
    I've heard the speakers - they will be very informative!
    I helped put the Conference info. packs together - very professional!

It's all looking great - THANKS TO MANDY!!!

We are all special mum's who are going 100 extra miles for our children but this lady - Mandy - is very, very special because she has achieved something I could only have dreamed of!
    A 5 day Drop-in, support groups for mum's, dad's and sibs, bus trips in school hols etc etc. and now a PDA Conference!

I am really looking forward to meeting so many of you from this forum, make sure you come early, talk to us all, or stay on after. Don't travel so far without talking to one another, we don't get many chances!!!

See you Tues!
    Paula
  • mango69
    I'll raise my glass to that!
    I keep hoping they will suss out cloning so we can have 10 Amanda's!
    Really looking forward to Tuesday. It will be a good day and fantastic to met up with everyone. Its a remarkable achievement. I feel proud if I get the dishes and the washing done in a day - I take my hat off to you Amanda =D>
    Margo

PS Good idea about the stickers - this is where I wish I had a less silly username :oops:
  • Amanda
    Aw shucks, thank you both thats really nice of you to say, but really I work this hard because I want to and it makes sense and gives purpose to all the years I spent thinking my son was some kind of demon and convinced I couldn't cope.
    I am looking forward to the conference as I do feel that the tide is really starting to turn now and that as parents, slowly chipping away at peoples perceptions we are a big part of this change.
    The two presentations are quite different. Fiona is one of the most wonderful and inspiring teachers I have ever met. She has a real understanding of PDA and more importantly for me she knows what it's like to live with someone with special needs as her brother is severely autistic and it was this that got her into special needs teaching in the first place.
    My presentation is very visual and based on my own experiences with Mark and the experiences of other parents.
    It should be a realy positive and informative day.
    I look forward to meeting some of you.

Mandx
  • Lixina
    I can't afford to travel to England on my own income, however if someone would pay my way I could speak about what it's like for me as a PDA young adult.
  • webbwebb
    Hi Lixina

That is a very brave offer!!!

I'm not sure that the Maze has the funds to pay for air fair from over the other side of the atlantic but it was a lovely thought.

Have you ever spoken in front of an audience before, about your disability?
    Do you travel long distances on public transport on your own?

I hope that maybe in the not too distant future you will get some opportunities to speak about your disability, even in your own country.

Paula
  • Lixina
    To your first question - I've done a bit of talking about autism to children as a guest on a puppet show (I wasn't using the puppets, though). I didn't tell them I was autistic, just talked about autism in general terms. Knowing what to say was tricky, I had to try to make sure they could understand it while getting the most important points across. But I did pretty well.
    To your second question - I used to live in Winnipeg with my mother while my father was still in Saskatchewan, and would head over to visit him by bus. Once I did so alone because my mother had to go to a conference. It was an all-day bus ride, and I got really bored and lonely towards the end. This was several years ago.
  • Lixina
    Do you know when the next PDA conference will be held? Will it be the same time/place?
    I just found out there's a possibility that I might be able to get funding from this one organization to present at the conference. A friend of mine will be asking about it, but she needs to know the time and place of the conference.
    Ettina
  • webbwebb
    Hi

I'm afraid no date or time has been set for another PDA conference by the MAZE in Nottingham for next year at present.
    I will speak to the MAZE Project Manager and try and find out when the next conference is likely to be and then get back to you.

Paula
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions