Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
PDA fits like a glove
  • Hi,

I recently found out about PDA and I'm waiting on diagnostics. I'm a woman and in my thirties and while I found a lot of information on children with PDA and information for parents, I'm looking for resources (or people!) on adults, women, with PDA. I'm going through the forum right now and have read almost every page of the PDA society website, but somehow I feel kind of lost in the in between. What do you do when you are about 99,9% sure you have PDA and you don't have a diagnoses yet. Do you go on as usual, or do you adjust things in your life? I have such trouble with going to work. I don't know how to handle this. I stay home a lot, it only seems to get worse. I live together with my boyfriend and he's really helpful, but I find it hard to ask for things without a diagnoses because somehow it doesn't seem justified. I spend a lot of time in bed or under a blanket on the couch, a lot of time at home and he finds that kind of difficult to watch. I don't want to upset him, but I want to feel better.

Okay, this is turning into a way longer post than I thought it would. Hope it makes sense. Any and all tips are welcome.

Thank you!
  • Holly59

silvia said:

Hi,

I recently found out about PDA and I'm waiting on diagnostics. I'm a woman and in my thirties and while I found a lot of information on children with PDA and information for parents, I'm looking for resources (or people!) on adults, women, with PDA. I'm going through the forum right now and have read almost every page of the PDA society website, but somehow I feel kind of lost in the in between. What do you do when you are about 99,9% sure you have PDA and you don't have a diagnoses yet. Do you go on as usual, or do you adjust things in your life? I have such trouble with going to work. I don't know how to handle this. I stay home a lot, it only seems to get worse. I live together with my boyfriend and he's really helpful, but I find it hard to ask for things without a diagnoses because somehow it doesn't seem justified. I spend a lot of time in bed or under a blanket on the couch, a lot of time at home and he finds that kind of difficult to watch. I don't want to upset him, but I want to feel better.

Okay, this is turning into a way longer post than I thought it would. Hope it makes sense. Any and all tips are welcome.

Thank you!

Hi ,
    Welcome to the Forum,

There are now more adults approaching the PDA Society than families because the awareness is growing .

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/adult-life

There is a wealth of information on this link to provide information , diagnostic pathways , support , PIP , information , training , support groups .

The Webinars are a great way to learn . The adult blogs are an invaluable way for all of us to learn . There is also a confidential specially trained adult service who you can contact if you wish . Details on the link . The NAS run specific late Adult Diagnosis Groups once you have a diagnosis . They can offer support with form filling too

If you had support the PDA Society Conference at Birmingham in April offers a specific group for Adults. May be both yourself and boyfriend could attend . You could certainly watch the Webinars together and learn as a team how to help you . He obviously dearly loves you and wants to help .

Hope this gives you a start . Did you read this post ?

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum#/discussion/6055/my-pda-boyfriend-a-success-story

Pat xx.
  • A diagnosis is always justified, no matter your age. The trouble is getting a referral for PDA is fraught due to so many areas not recognising it. It becomes circular, if your area doesn't recognise it, they will almost definitely refuse to agree out-of-area funding. Don't let that dissuade you however, because it's only by people pushing for recognition of their PDA that things will change.

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.