Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Medication in Australia
  • LPA510
    Hi. We have a daughter who is 8yrs old with a PDA diagnosis. We have been managing up to this point but she is now reaching a point where everything must be done exactly when and how she demands or we have meltdowns. We are now going back to see her Paed and get his thoughts on medication as this situation is now becoming unmanageable. She has an older brother and sister who wear the brunt of some of her behaviour as well.

Just wondering if anyone out there has been down the medication road and your thoughts,results,etc?
    We are also going to have the problem of how to administer this as she has heightened senses and will taste anything different. Plus she also knows that we are talking about this so she is already against this. She states that there is nothing wrong with her and that the problem is with the rest of us not giving her everything that she wants.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Leanne.
  • Holly59

LPA510 said:

Hi. We have a daughter who is 8yrs old with a PDA diagnosis. We have been managing up to this point but she is now reaching a point where everything must be done exactly when and how she demands or we have meltdowns. We are now going back to see her Paed and get his thoughts on medication as this situation is now becoming unmanageable. She has an older brother and sister who wear the brunt of some of her behaviour as well.

Just wondering if anyone out there has been down the medication road and your thoughts,results,etc?
    We are also going to have the problem of how to administer this as she has heightened senses and will taste anything different. Plus she also knows that we are talking about this so she is already against this. She states that there is nothing wrong with her and that the problem is with the rest of us not giving her everything that she wants.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Leanne.

Hi,
    If you email the enquiries link they have a vast experience of medication . There is no right or wrong answer it depends on the child .

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/resources

It the home situation behaviour has escalated is this due to something being wrong st school . Is the school using PDA Stratagies ?

You have to be consistent . Siblings have to learn these Stratagies too . There is some excellent reading material for siblings explaining why their sister has issues and how they can help .

Another suggestion would be Laura Kerbey from PAST in England . She works from email and Skype . We used Laura in the Scottish Borders for training and she is excellent . Has vast experience within the schools system .

https://www.positiveautismsupportandtraining.co.uk/laura-kerbey

Pat xx
  • aliveit
    Hi leanne
    Our son, who has just turned 9, was recommended propanolol, a beta blocker, during our diagnosis session at help4psychology, norwich.
    His anxiety is so high and has been for a while now. The vicious circle of anxiety, violent meltdown and then anxiety over him and sometimes us not understanding his meltdown means that we too have arrived at a point where the strategies r not enough, even if they help a bit. I also struggle to get everyone to adopt the strategies despite my best efforts.
    He is in a constant mode of fight and flight, mainly fight, so we need to lower this response before we can work with him and his condition.
    Here in france they agree but dont give beta blockers to kids.
    We have been advised atarax by the autistic centre, an anti histamine with calming effects and often prescribed 4 insomnia. We r on day 4... i was told it would have almost immediate effect, and it does seem to help him sleep with little anxiety but has had no effect on the violent reactions to everyday occurences.
    My gp, who prescribed it, has also said it can have addictive qualities so we can only use it short term... but a few peaceful nights will be good 4 him and me, as tiredness must just amplify his frustrations.
    It is a very small tablet and he only has half so he will take it. I told him very non commital that its like his allergy pills but to help him sleep. We too find it impossible to give or hide liquid medicines or drops.
    We have also been advised risperdal, an anti psychotic. I am struggling with this one. I am willing to try it though if necessary but we've just found maybe a cbt therapist who seems good after 2 years of searching and she comes to the house which makes things easier, so i'm waiting a bit.
    I empathise with you not knowing what else to do.... i dont think any parents would go down the drug route if there was another option that helped.
    I think get as much information as you can, it would probably just be temporary... and who knows, it may help your child and you... there seems to be no set rules...
    Take care
    Alison
  • My son is now 9, (diagnosed with ASD at 3, LA wont diagnose PDA here,) he has been aggressive and violent for most of his life,obviously driven by anxiety. We have always been dubious about medication but it was our last hope. He was prescribed fluoxetine earlier this year and the results have been astonishing! From 5-10 violent incidents a day to now I cant even remember the last time he lashed out at all,at anyone.
  • Hi, also an Aussie mum. Our paediatrician prescribed Fluoxetine and it has dramatically reduced the speed at which he will fly into a rage and the intensity of any meltdown (significantly reduced). However he won't take a tablet dissolved in water (which is $5.20 a box) so I have it "compounded" at a chemist for $55 a bottle (doesn't quite last a month, but depends on what their prescription per day is). He still doesn't particularly like the flavour but will take it with a bribe of marshmallows or something straight afterwards to get rid of the taste. Let's say my mother is COMPLETELY against medication (for anything really) but after years of watching what he (and me and his siblings) were going through, she is now all for it! Best of luck in your decision

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.