Sign In

Please sign in using the log in form at the top of this page or click here

Not a member

You need to register before you can start a new discussion or comment on a post.

Click the button below to go to our forum registration page.

In this Discussion

Welcome to the PDA Society Forum. Please take time to read the 'Forum terms and conditions', which can be found via this webpage:https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/terms-and-conditions and also in our NEW Forum User Guide: https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/forum/forum-users-guide-created
Messages in the 'General Discussions' category of the forum are visible to all internet users. You are therefore advised not to post anything of a confidential nature in this category.
Welcome to the PDA Society Discussion Forum. Please read our User Guide for more information and contact forum@pdasociety.org.uk if you would like to join one of our closed Member Forums for registered members only.
Supplements etc...
  • HannahH29
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise on any good supplements they use that have helped their ASD child or even an approach to diet? I’m willing to try anything!

Thanks x
  • Em83Em83
    Hi Hannahh29, Sorry I can't advise on anything specific but we discussed any diet related questions with our son's consultant paediatrician as he suffers a lot of stomach pains which can affect his mood. As someone with food intolerance I have found food diaries can sometimes help to see what foods may be a trigger or not but with children we have always been recommended to speak to his consultant.
  • HannahH29
    Thanks so much Em83. We have an appt with the paediatrician soon so will bring this up, we saw the dietician but frankly it was a waste of time and she said my son’s rigid diet was fine! A good diary is a good idea, I will give it go x
  • Em83Em83
    Good luck HannahH29 hope they can help x
  • Holly59

HannahH29 said:

Thanks so much Em83. We have an appt with the paediatrician soon so will bring this up, we saw the dietician but frankly it was a waste of time and she said my son’s rigid diet was fine! A good diary is a good idea, I will give it go x

You have my totally sympathy ! The dietician we originally saw was totally clueless on ASD . “ Only the worst Autistic Children are like this and he is obviously not Autistic is he “ . This is an allegedly trained ASD dietician .

Have you ever looked at ARFID , that’s another possibility .

I have just had another private assessment and my youngest has been recognised as having Substantial SPD . No surprise there ! It’s going to take about three to four years of work long term to help increase his diet .

• HannahH29
    Hi Holly,

Thanks for replying at least we are not alone! Funnily enough we have a private OT assessment on Monday for my son as he has severe hyper mobility and I suspect Ehlers Danilo’s hypermobility but it’s the sensory stuff I want looked at. I’m holing a sensory diet will help to enable him to tolerate more foods so it’s great to hear you have had success in having this recognised. If you find anything that works I would love to hear about it and I will do the same! Xx
  • HannahH29
    And yes I read an amazing post about ARFID and it fits my son to a tee!
  • HannahH29
    I meant Ehlers Danlos!
  • June67
    So many things to unpick with them and food, we've struggled with both of our boys but do our best. (although youngest is very worrying as he mainly eats crisps and biscuits and other junk foods it is hard to limit this sometimes but we adjust our boundaries if he is particularly stressed and try to distract him from eating those things instead.) My husband recently found a few articles on asd and gut biomes in his scientific journals which explored links between digestive issues with asd and also some behavioural changes too? So there may be medical and sensory reasons for our kids so called 'fussy/faddiness', which is what we have been lectured about by 'professionals' for years, something I have always known.
  • HannahH29
    Yes June! I have also been told about this and funnily enough years ago we visited an osteopath for my son who suspected a ‘leaky gut’ with him and / or overgrowth of Candida due to years of antibiotics for asthma. We put him on high strength probiotics which helped but I will be honest it didn’t drastically change his behaviour. It’s a fascinating area of study but such a minefield xx
  • June67
    Yes sometimes things that have a strong correlation are not actually linked as you say a complete minefield.
  • Holly59
    The SPD part is going to take years to work through . The Hypermobility also has an effect on the system . If you throw demand avoidance into the equation you can see how complex this can be . I have found drinks like innocent orange juice with no bits is one of the drinks he will tolerate . It’s like everything in PDA nothing is straight forward .

Please Log in or Register to comment on this discussion.