To help PDA students and their families and teachers prepare for the return to school and college in September, we’ve collated some helpful resources and advice below.
It may be helpful to share these resources with your child or young person’s school/college along with details of any PDA and personalised adaptations required. These editable templates are available to help with this:
You may also wish to include copies of our latest PDA literature including:
Our PDA & School page includes information for families about accessing support in school.
And our Information for education professionals working with PDA pupils is also available together with other resources that are especially helpful for teaching professionals.
PDA specific resources – returning to school & college
- From Freedom to Lockdown by Holly Clarke (age 13) – Holly shares her perspective on lockdown and returning to school in this video with helpful insight and PDA support tips
- PDA Society Coronavirus Q&A video: Preparing children for life after the coronavirus outbreak and written summary
- Supporting a move in education by Jilly Davis offers practical suggestions for supporting school transitions
Other helpful advice & resources (not PDA specific)
- Free online courses by Reachout ASC:
- Supporting Transition Back into the Learning Environment School and College – Phoenix
- What is a School ‘Bubble’? – social story by Reachout ASC
- Back to School – a Social Story – The Rainbow Classroom
- Lenny and Lily Return to School: wordless story for primary school children by Beyond Words
- Guidance for teachers, school leaders, carers, parents and students (in England)
- Information about back to school plans for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- GOV UK guidance: What parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges in the autumn term (applies to England)
- Face coverings in education (in England)