Support for parents & carers


This page signposts some sources of useful information and support regarding health, social care, justice, benefits and more.

The PDA Society takes considerable care to check the services that we signpost, however we’re not responsible for the quality, experience or outcomes from third party organisations.

When accessing services and support, it is likely that you’ll need to share information about the PDA profile of autism and what approaches are helpful with PDA with all the people (including clinicians) you are in contact with – please feel free to print off or send links to any of the information on our website. We’ve also put together some PDA-related suggestions for healthcare passports.

PDA specific support

Mental Health

Your first step in terms of accessing mental health support would normally be to contact your GP who will be able to refer you on to the relevant services, such as CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services). The following links may also be helpful:

These links and organisations can offer information and support for individuals in inpatient settings:

Behaviour that challenges

Speech & language therapy

Support for Selective Mutism

Occupational therapy

Social care


Siblings/young carers


Encounters with the law

Health Services – rights/complaints


Universal Credit for disabled students: Many disabled young people can qualify for Universal Credit if they establish a ‘limited capability for workbefore starting their education course — a process that the charity Contact recommends starting when your child turns 16. In this Q&A, Contact Family Finance adviser Derek Sinclair offers parents help to better understand the rules and what your child could do to prepare ahead in order to facilitate a quicker Universal Credit claim in the future.

Financial assistance